Jewelry Once Again Tops Black Friday Discounts

Trade news

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Rob Bates | November 18, 2015

"Big retailers are touting greater discounts on jewelry than any other category for Black Friday, with the average advertised price-cut totaling 73 percent, according to a new survey by WalletHub.

The Washington, D.C.–based personal finance site scanned 8,000 Black Friday deals offered by 30 of the biggest U.S. retailers.

Jewelry was also the most heavily discounted category in 2014—though last year, the average discount was a far lower 58 percent.

This year, jewelry far outpaced every other category as far as advertised discounts. The number two category—books, movies, and music—averaged a 56 percent discount, roughly even with last year.

Groupon advertised the highest ... "

http://www.jckonline.com/2015/11/18/jew ... -306540353

Here's a story I wanted to post the day before yesterday but never got around to, so I figure now that we have 2 articles on sellers offering huge discounts on jewelry, it's even more interesting when you take a look at the pros and cons. ;)

Jewelry Should Not Be Discounted 75 Percent

Rob Bates | November 20, 2015

"A WalletHub survey published this week found that jewelry was the most the most heavily discounted category on Black Friday this year, as it was last year. The averaged (advertised) discount: 76 percent, up from last year’s 58 percent.

Not to be outdone, Amazon soon announced “up to 70 percent off” diamond jewelry on Black Friday. Macy’s is even offering 30 percent off engagement rings, an item that is not commonly marked down.

But let’s consider what kind of message this sends. If these items are now sold for 70 percent off, does that mean they are ordinarily 70 percent too expensive?

These pricing strategies “undermine the true value of a piece of jewelry,” says Charles Stanley, president of Forevermark USA.

This has been going on for years, of course, although lately it seems to be happening more with jewelry than other items, in part because jewelry doesn’t have an obvious reference price. It’s easy to check if you are getting 30 percent off your iPad. But jewelry is much harder to comparison shop.

At worst, these tactics mislead consumers, as they are based on reference prices that don’t exist, and a few retailers have faced class-action suits because of them. But even assuming all is on the level, they also raise consumer expectations to a degree that can’t be sustained long-term.

Take, for example, ... "

http://www.jckonline.com/blogs/cutting- ... -306540353
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Brightlights

Re: Jewelry Once Again Tops Black Friday Discounts

Post by Brightlights »

If I'm not mistaken, most jewelry is 300% or more markup. Obviously it depends on piece and stones, etc... But before I started making stuff, I never paid full price and always looked for sales. Its the way we do business in America. Otherwise We'd just haggle every sale....
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Here's a good one for you. I was replacing my GrandTec lighted washable keyboard because Lucy bit the cord, and I could only type intermittently. I put it off for weeks, and when I finally searched for one at a good price I found it on Amazon, where I could get free shipping, and use a $10 off coupon if I had a $50 order. I lacked $15-$20 to make it to the minimum so I looked around, and I found a pair of 8mm 14kt rose gold ball earrings with a list price of $120, for just $39 and some change, so I ordered them with the keyboard and got the $10 off plus free shipping.

They arrived early and were beautifully packaged, and exactly as described. But some rocket scientist put a Tyvek tag on one of the loops of one of the earring backs, which are so miniscule that when I dropped it I thought I'd never find it, which also makes them very hard to hold and manipulate. The loop is so tiny, and here's this Tyvek tag stuck in the loop, so I tried to get the tip of my haircutting scissors in there, and thought I had cut thru it. I gave a light tug to pull it out of the loop, but instead the loop uncurled ruining the earring back. :o I got out my tools and carefully bent it back into place, but these things are machined, and getting it exactly positioned and with the proper tension proved impossible, so I was pretty peeved because the earrings were brand new and useless. :evil:

So I called American Express because they have free purchase protection, and I told the rep what happened, and that I had used my points to pay for them and asked if there was anything they could do. They said they don't recredit points, and that he would submit my claim, and lo and behold, the next morning they had credited my card for $29.91, my actual cost of the earrings. :)

Needless to say I was delighted, but still went back and tried again to repair the damaged backing, and I got it close enough to try wearing them around here to see if it would stay in place, thinking if they did I'd call them back and let them put the charge back on the card. It lasted for 4 days, and yesterday I woke to find the earring on the bed, and the tiny backing was nowhere to be found, so the claim will stand and I'll have to buy a replacement back for it.

I told Steve the story last night and when I went to bed I was thinking about it and realized that in using points instead of cash, I essentially used their money to buy them since I would have spent the same amount on my purchases whether they gave me points or not, so they paid for them the first time, and then refunded me too, essentially paying for them a second time! I tell you, you can't beat a deal like that. Their own system gave me a free pair of earrings and then paid me for them again. Shoot, you can't even make this stuff up it's so absurd!
ROFLMAOemoticon.gif
ROFLMAOemoticon.gif (11.09 KiB) Viewed 267 times
PinkDiamond

SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

So you are saying the "retail price" may have been a tad high for the quality? I miss credit cards now and again in emergencies, but not monthly. The one just sent me by Capital one for excellent credit started at 18% and penalty APR, as if your payment was late went to 30% essentially from then on. The holidays are here. Take care and lots of love.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Believe it or not I have 2 banks and 3 cards that send me access checks at 0% for 6 months. I've been getting them for years and use them on large purchases to pay the excess off in a couple of months, so they keep sending them. There's always a fee for using them but it's much less than interest at the rates they charge, which are insane. It's not uncommon to see over 30% interest charges with some cards, and quite frankly, the only way to use credit to your advantage is to pay the cards in full monthly.

That's how I can have no job for over 15 years and yet still have and very high FICO credit score that attracts the 0% offers I get. The lousy banksters see people who can't pay their bills monthly as patsies for them to fleece with outrageous fees and interest rates. The only way to get the great deals is to make it look like you don't need them; then they're there offering you what less fortunate people desperately need and truly deserve. :(

It's all smoke and mirrors the way they create money out of thin air, so using smoke and mirrors to operate in their world is poetic justice. :lol:
PinkDiamond