Touring Rome Through The Lens Of Jewelry

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

There are lots of pics in this one from Forbes, of all sorts of jewels and things in Italy, so I'm not taking you very far and you'll want to use the link to see them all. A the bottom of this post I'll show you my favorite pic from the lineup. :mrgreen:

Beth BernsteinContributor
I write about modern and antique fine jewelry.
Oct 23, 2022,03:48pm EDT

From The Eleuteri Archives, a Constantin Roesler Franz micromosaic necklace. Rome, circa 1850 featuring different famous sites of Italy

Eleuteri-rare micromosaic necklace, by Constantin-Roesler-Franz.Eleuteri

"Pick up an espresso and join along for a day of touring the best permanent exhibit, renowned shops and antique and vintage jewelry in the eternal city. You have to sleep and eat and we suggest places for those as well. Let’s start the journey...

Staying in central Rome can cost a small fortune and eat into any funds you have set aside for purchasing a piece of jewelry—there are beautiful hotels but I recommend staying at Roman Holiday Residenza, a super host on all of the Airbnb sites. And yes, it is named after the beloved classic and iconic movie. The price is right and the location is perfect, situated between Piazza Navona and Campo Fiori. It’s a respite of a sleek, ultra-modern, metropolitan - style luxury apartment in the heart of the historical ruins of Rome - bright, quiet and large with light streaming through the window and completely renovated - with a safe to keep your treasures when you find them. There are a slew of other amenities like a washer/dryer but let’s get going.

Once you walk out the door, you should stop at Roscioli Caffe for one of the many delectable looking pastries and a cappuccino or the Italian caffeine jolt of your choice and call an uber or cab to your first stop. This is the only place you cannot walk to from central Rome on this jewelry tour.

The National Etruscan Museum at Villa Giulia in Rome

ROME, ITALY - JUNE 11: The exedra of Villa Giulia (16th century), (UNESCO World Heritage List) June ... [+]Getty Images

The National Etruscan Museum of Villa Giulia in Park Borghese (Piazzale di Villa Giulia 9) is where you can find the permanent collection of the legendary Castellani jewelry divided into different periods and displayed next to original pieces of ancient times. The Castellani family has been part of the cultural fabric of Rome ever since Pio Castellani opened his workshop in 1814. He had two sons, Alexandro and Augusto. They were part of the business of collecting and re-imagining the Etruscan details and techniques, as well as other elements and intricacies of archeological jewelry. The artisan family found their way to recreate the enameling, micromosaics, granulation and goldwork and were leaders in the revivalist movement of the 19th century. Quoting the historian and author Geoffrey Munn, “No nineteenth century lady of fashion visiting Italy would consider her tour of Rome complete without calling at Castellani’s shop near the Spanish Steps to acquire one of the famous pieces of Italian archaeological jewelry offered there.”

ROME ITALY 9th century jewels from the Castellani collection, stolen from Villa Giulia museum in ... [+]Future Publishing via Getty Images

Castellani pieces were smuggled out of Villa Giulia in 2013 and then rescued and brought back to the museum.

One Wall of The Castellani Exhibit at The Etruscan Museum at Villa GiuliaVilla Giulia

Eventually, the family ... "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bethbernst ... 339ba57d92

Here's my favorite shot from the article. When in Rome, have pizza! It helped me decide to make a pizza for dinner tonight. :lol:

PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Touring Rome Through The Lens Of Jewelry

Post by SwordfishMining »

They cut it in squares in Italy so it can easily be eaten with a fork like a civilized person tho.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"