Britt’s Pick: Opal Star Pendant By Christina Alexiou

For those of you who've been involved with opals and gemstones for many years, here you can chat with your peers.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This is lovely, and the method she used to create it sounds fascinating; but the unfinished look of the gold around the opal makes it look sloppy to me, and we know she's a good designer, having seen her Space Oddity collection a few months ago, so I have to wonder why she chose to make it look like that around the opal because for people like me it ruins what is otherwise a lovely piece. Maybe it's just the nit-picking Virgo in me, I don't know, so what do you think of the gold around the opal? :?:

By Brittany Siminitz | October 11, 2022

"Opals are mesmerizing enough on their own, but when combined with equally entrancing metalwork, they’re positively unstoppable.

Such is the sentiment fitting for Christina Alexiou’s one-of-a-kind treasure here, an eight-point star of gold surrounding the luminously lovely October birthstone.

The piece is hand-set, its granulated gold dots placed on the shape with a bird’s feather, an ancient technique used in Greek craftsmanship. “It took me several months to perfect and create my opal granulated star pendant. I used an ancient technique that involved placing small grains of gold on top of a gold surface with a bird’s feather, specifically a woodcock’s feather,” says the Athens, Greece–born Alexiou. “Making the process even more involved, it had to be a navigation feather that came from the woodcock’s elbow, which aids in steering while flying.”

Though the piece is newly made, it certainly has a bygone aura about it, perhaps owed to the designer’s influence. “I was inspired by an ancient Greek charm necklace that I stumbled upon, which incorporated a granulated star,” says Alexiou. “I wanted to create a contemporary and fresh iteration of it.”

Is it coincidence that the opal at the center glows with the fire of the brightest star viewed from Earth, the sun? Maybe so, though the choice of gem was intentional. “I wanted to incorporate an opal into this design, as I thought a vibrant stone would add a playful element and give the star a lively feel,” Alexiou says. “Also, this particular opal is very iridescent, and its multiple colors really complement the star’s sculptural quality and depth created by the small handcrafted grains.”

This unique piece is a treasure worth cherishing, but if other celestial bodies are of interest, might we suggest Christina Alexiou’s Space Oddity collection? ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... a-alexiou/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)