I saw movement in the window and got the shock of my life

Discussion and pictures of your favorite critters!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

I saw movement in the window and got the shock of my life

Post by PinkDiamond »

I was sitting here posting articles for you when I caught movement out the window, and when I looked up I saw something I've never seen before. A black bear cub! I grabbed my camera and saw it was approaching the deck where my birdfeeders are, but me opening the door a bit to see if I could get a shot of it frightened it and it went below the deck where it stayed for a pretty good while, but with the jungle growing down there I couldn't see much. I did manage to get a few shots though so here they are.

P1015175.JPG

P1015176.JPG

P1015177.JPG

P1015178.JPG

P1015179.JPG

I didn't see a mama bear, but with the forest so dense I wouldn't see her unless she was in a clearing, and since they cubs are usually born in pairs I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to take the dog out to check the mail a half mile away today. It can wait til tomorrow - unless I see the bear again of course. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
mehoose

Re: I saw movement in the window and got the shock of my life

Post by mehoose »

:o O my goodness!!! WOW but YIKES!!!!

Glad you managed to get a few shots but dang.. a bit close for comfort while you could be in snoozy land.

Do you have a ride on mower with side mirrors so you can do zoomies to clear a perimeter of sorts?
mehoose

Post by mehoose »

Hey Pink, second last photo. The metal clips on the power pole, just to the right of the second conduit clip you can see...what's that in the grass?
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wow, 'hoose is here!! The reason the place looks like a jungle is because Steve buys relics to use as equipment, like his tractor that's older than me, and the mower isn't much younger so they're always breaking down, and sadly this is the third year that he hasn't mowed at all, so I can't clear anything. He never fenced the place so I can't even get a few goats and have them clean it up, although what I really would like to have are alpacas to keep the fields and around the house clean.

The light pole has a metal pipe attached to it with the straps you're seeing, and the power lines run through it from the transformer down to where they go underground to feed the house. There's the phone transformer next to the pole that's small and barely visible, but it had 2 lines in it, and a t-storm took out one line so they switched us to the other, but then another storm fried the other line so they came out and ran a 'temporary' line from the box, across the area one drives through, into the forest, then back across the drive area to the house. They swore they'd be back out to fix it but that was about a month and a half ago because they're going to have to dig to fix it, so I'm sure it keeps getting pushed to the bottom of the to-do list because I bet they have to replace the box down there too.

As for the bear, there's a reserve maybe 5 miles from here as the crow flies, so he likely just got sidetracked and wandered away, and hopefully found his way back. They have been seen on the other side of the mountain behind us occasionally, but this is the first time I've seen them on this side, and that bobcat I got pics of a year or so ago seems to have also moved on and hasn't been seen again. I've got an array of various colorful birds at my feeders, which attracts 2 squirrels I'm always chasing off, and 2 chipmunks I toss peanuts out for, the possum comes at night, and last night Shiloh was going nuts and when I went to the door there was mama coon and a baby with her, so I was fighting to keep them away unsuccessfully. I'd rather have the groundhogs coming to the door for food, but they seem to have moved on as the adults passed on and the kids found their own homes, so I do miss them. :)
PinkDiamond

mehoose

Post by mehoose »

Yup, the 7 year itch/switch has arrived and it's time to get back into the rocks! :mrgreen:

Oh it's a box! I thought it might have been mum's head with the tan snout facing to the right.
I notice the wee one looks to the right a bit. Maybe that's where mum was.

Well I hope you can get something to tame the growth. Do you get many snakes where you are?
mehoose

Post by mehoose »

Hang on, you don't mean that small stumpy tube is the phone line box do you? No I'm not meaning that!
Blow up the image of the 2nd last pic.(click it twice), then look at the metal clip about the middle of the pole, now look to the right about an inch and down a smidge, just there in the long grass just in the shadow, there's like a bear's head shape. That's what I'm meaning.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Oh, yes, that is him lumbering down the hill, and then he sat for minute before leaving. There were no bear sightings yesterday, and so far none today. :)
PinkDiamond

SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

My eyes are seeing a shadowy silhouette that was watching the paparazzi. HAH, Good Morning Pink!
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
mehoose

Post by mehoose »

PinkDiamond wrote:Oh, yes, that is him lumbering down the hill, and then he sat for minute before leaving. There were no bear sightings yesterday, and so far none today. :)

No Pink, not the baby!
Hang on, I'll try to put an arrow in....
OMG...it's been so long! Trying to work out how to upload from pc.
Ok, just put it on another site i use so will link from there.
Even if you can't work it out from my pic, just at the tip of the arrow, in the shadows hiding in the long grass you see a shape! :shock:
If you need to, use my arrow as a guide on your own pic. Yep, just double checked, look at the same position after you click on your own pic twice.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Ohh, I see what you're saying, and I enlarged the pic and think since there are actually 3 black things pointing upward, that they're probably just weeds that have died already, but I'll look in the daylight tomorrow and see if I can figure out what they are. ... or were if they're gone. :!:
PinkDiamond