An Ode To Antique Pearls

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

An Ode To Antique Pearls

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm loving the piece in the first shot, and I'm showing you the second pic that I thought might be a buttery shade of South seas golden pearls, but it doesn't say that they are so maybe they're just yellowed with age or exposure to body oils, or it could just be their natural color; and they are certainly well matched. I cut it off there since there aren't many pieces left to see, and I do like the earrings in the next pic, but I still like the first piece best despite the enamel since it does a good job of imitating the inside of a shell. Check these vintage pearls out. The one I like is from 1890, and the pearl doesn't look its age :lol: plus the enamel has held up well. :)

An Ode To Antique Pearls
By Annie Davidson | July 28, 2022

"There’s something about pearls that lends them a timeless allure. It was Coco Chanel who famously argued that “a woman needs ropes and ropes of pearls,” and Jackie Kennedy, among many others, agreed that “pearls are always appropriate.” So what exactly has made them unanimously beloved from one generation to the next?

It could be that they’re the only gem formed within a living being, and unlike diamonds and other stones, they’re presented as is—no cutting or polishing required—which also results in a range of iridescent shades. Because of this, they can also be quite significant in size, creating more indulgent and statement-making jewelry.

Or perhaps it’s what they symbolize. Pearls have long been believed to represent purity and calmness, as well as wisdom, protection, and good fortune (which is, in part, why they’re such a popular bridal choice, whether realized or not).

Whatever the reason, as a testament to their inimitable beauty and longevity, we’ve rounded up a few pieces of antique pearl jewelry below that have lived many more lives than any of us. Chanel and Kennedy would surely approve.

Antique necklace, circa 1890, in yellow gold and silver with 668 3 mm–7.4 mm natural pearls and 2.3 cts. t.w. round brilliant-cut diamonds, $297,800; 1stDibs

... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... ue-pearls/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)