Smoked / treated Welos sold as Aussie blacks on ebay

Get an expert to answer all your Opal and Gemstone questions.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Postby Gecko109 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:43 am
It is almost too much to bear! There are hundreds and hundreds of smoked Welos being sold as "lightning ridge" blacks on ebay. Not only is this fraudulent, but it also hurts the opal industry as a whole when so many people are being misled. And the most frustrating part about this is how easy it is to tell a smoked welo from a genuine aussie black from even just the photos....most of which are "juiced" to the max anyway.

Re: Smoked / treated Welos sold as Aussie blacks on ebay

Postby PinkDiamond » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 am
It's criminal what they're doing, and gives all fleabay gem sellers a bad reputation. That's why we have an Opal Sheriff as well as a Gemstone Sheriff here, to make sure things are properly represented, so if you see someone doing such a thing here (God forbid), you just report it to the OS Posse, sending them a link to the auction. The ones doing that here in the States should be investigated by the Attorney General of the state they live in, but it almost never happens, and we already know it's business as usual for fleabay as long as they collect those fees, so they're even in collusion with them, and yet nothing gets done about it. :?

Postby TobyBaptiste » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:37 pm
Yeah I saw them all two days ago as I was running thorugh opals on sale... I also know a few days some didn't say heat treated... now they do!!! I mean come on they are not LRidge it is way too pbvious for the knowledgable opalholic but for the new comers they are going to get burnt!! I saw at least two sellers and it says they are from florida, thier pages look near identical and so does their product.

Postby Gecko109 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm

TobyBaptiste wrote:
Yeah I saw them all two days ago as I was running thorugh opals on sale... I also know a few days some didn't say heat treated... now they do!!! I mean come on they are not LRidge it is way too pbvious for the knowledgable opalholic but for the new comers they are going to get burnt!! I saw at least two sellers and it says they are from florida, thier pages look near identical and so does their product.

One is TargetGems.....appears to be Florida based, yet definately not operated by Americans as evidenced by my message to/from them:

ME:

This is a smoked / treated Welo opal. Why are you selling these treated Ethiopian stones as genuine lightning ridge black opals when they are not?
THEIR RESPONSE:

Thanks for your Great support in our Business.This is Natural Opal But color only Treated.Color not going.Please continue to watch our auction regularly. Our goal is customer satisfaction is top priority. We want to satisfy our customers at the most. We like to do more business with you long timesHAVE A NICE DAY TO YOU
ITEM IN QUESTION:

*sorry but had to remove link to fleabay due to no links to outside sales policy

Unfortunately, the powers that be at ebay probably have no clue about the difference between even an opal doublet and triplet. I think that trying to report this gross misrepresentation/scam to them would be an attempt in futility. As Toby said, there will be a lot of new opal enthusiasts being burnt on these treated stones that they are paying way too much for. I guess caveat emptor plays a part here as well though.

Postby elflife8 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:42 am
I don't know if this will help or not but here are my 2 cents.
some years back e-bay was flooded with forgeries of autographs the UACC was shocked as it almost ruined the autograph collection industry
i don't know who thay got involved and i know they didn't " clean ' e-bay completely BUT some sellers were prosecuted
and most just stooped having clients
if you wish to even clean e-bay a bit ask them how they did that
I think the basic thing thay = UACC did was get people educated about the problem n e-bay then thaws people stooped baying on e-bay which got e-bay worried so thay had to clean up even a bit

Postby Kane826 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 am
Had some bad experiences with ebay myself. In short their policy seems to be- We are not gonna do anything against our sellers as they pay us commission...End of story, sad but true. To get anything done you would probably have to organise media attention.

Postby OpalSupreme » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:28 pm
Hello there - great topic !
this is crazy and that is why I don't buy any of those black cabochons - also most of the picture are also manipulated by darkening the background and color saturation ..etc (beware when you see totally N1 black Background and same opal color with super fire = photo manipulation.. note some may do only color saturation/vividness or other stuff like that :shock: :evil: :!: plus not only pictures of opals are upgraded :!: )

also I will add - Beware of the seller named - gemsshoppe
he is not only manipulating the photos but also the photos are stock - and he got everything - all the honeycombs world/museum no1 harlequins etc.. :)
I found it that he is so dump that he did 2 auctions with the same photo and even movie but in the description stones were in 2 different sizes etc!!
I have reported this to ebay but didn't get any response and he is still doing these and people fighting for pictures :)
He is from Thailand so no surprise - and I just don't understand people who buy from him ?

Greetings
OpalS

Postby OpalSupreme » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:52 pm
also I have seen pair of black opals from LR - where 1 was clear Welo natural brown (with odd honeycomb like pattern) and 2nd was probably heated LR opal
- although there was information about the color treatment :)

the worst think > there is a plenty jewelers who don't really know opals and they are buying these , then setting and selling with wrong description without knowing it !!! but that's the way the cookie crumbles - or I should say opal :lol:

Postby PinkDiamond » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:35 am
Fleabay proves once again that anybody can buy gemstones and become a seller there without having the least bit of knowledge of what they're selling. It's a major problem for the trade because ignorant sellers take the info given by their vendor and pass it on without doing due diligence to make sure the stones are exactly what they're supposed to be, so once misrepresented it continues all the way down the line to the consumer, and registering complaints with fleabay is like pissing in the wind; it gets you nowhere and only aggravates you when you get no response and nothing is ever done about it. That's why OA and the sister sites are so far above fleabay, because we have rules sellers have to abide by, and violating them will get them suspended or even banned as a seller if they don't clean up their act, which is the only way to run a site that buyers can depend on, and is why so many people flee fleaby and refuse to buy from them, since they don't even care when sellers are selling fake merchandise after winning their court case here in the States. At least in France they were smart enough to hold them accountable, but not here where entering out courtrooms is akin to going into Alice In Wonderland territory, and it was aptly so put by Steven King. :?
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Postby Gecko109 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:02 pm
While ebay has its flaws, it still presents a tremendous buying opportunity for those who do not wish to pay excessive prices. I could post 4 or 5 opals right now that I snagged off ebay for prices that would make your head spin. And dont forget Pink, with paypal buyer protection, EVERY SINGLE PURCHASE is a no risk guaranteed deal. If you get something you arent happy with, you WILL be refunded, period.

OA is a very well organized auction venue, but it also has its share of overpriced junk as well. The biggest difference is that when you bid on OA, you are bidding against nothing but opal enthusiasts for a much more limited amount of product. On ebay, there are thousands of stones sold each day, and many of them slip under the radar of opal sharks. Most of the OA higher quality stuff gets "all the money", and rarely are there exceptional bargains to be had.

Postby HKKurt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:22 pm
Gecko109: I agree in general with your last statement, but need to remind you that PayPal is largely owned by ebay.
You would change your mind about PayPal if they would screw you over like they did to me 7 years ago. While I belief that things have gotten much better at PayPal as such, they still have the occasional case where people loose everything on all their credit-cards, like I did then.

As a regular complaining to Ebay: Ebay will send you a notice that they will deal with your complaint, but regardless how obvious the case and how much evidence you collected, nothing is ever done. I followed one cheater in colored diamonds for nearly a year and collected screenshots and all sorts of other things along the way just to prove that the seller was bidding against customers, winning at times and re-listing a few weeks later and submitted everything to Ebay, yet the seller never stopped the practice. Unfortunately, I managed to buy two small stones, and the GIA report here in HK certified them natural untreated and I could not add additional complaints.

In general: I'm one of those people who has benefited from Ebay and I must say that I got only a handful of "Lessons" in over ten years of buying from the system. But then again, before I buy anything, I usually research and follow diverse sellers for a while and I set a limit of spending on any seller for the first few deals. Impulse buying was never my thing, and this has certainly benefited me over the long run.

Postby Kane826 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:50 pm
Gecko- somehow that great protection policy didn't help me, plus unethical practices like using boosted images damage the market, since most people are too ignorant to research before buying and if someone buys a stone for lets say 150 and then after recieving it discovers that it's not so vivid but it would cost him 35 to send it back he probably won't be bothered, just stay away from opals next time...

Postby mick » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:51 pm
I have spent a month of looking for fake Aussie black Opal on Ebay. On and off, maybe 4 hours in all.

I conclude there is no such thing. Not hundreds and hundreds, not one that I could find. There are very few posts for anything from Lightning Ridge compared to all other areas.

Perhaps your experience was a once off from one seller now closed down?

Postby EDGEgems » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:37 pm
I just checked targetgems on ebay, they have 27 treated welo opals advertised as Lightning Ridge Black

*link removed per site rules of no links to outside sales. Sorry.

When I last checked there were 7 similar sellers from thiland selling the stuff,and I think that if you looked carefully you would find more than 100 of the fake Lightning Ridge stones on ebay right now

Postby gingerkid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:50 pm
Hey, Ed! :) Thanks for posting the link. Problem is that I don't think I would be able to differentiate the smoked welos from the Black Opals from OZ. Is there any indications of how to tell them apart by just looking at them?

Postby PinkDiamond » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:41 am
Sorry I had to remove the link folks, but them's the rules. Ed gave the name of the seller so anyone wanting to see them all can find him on fleabay and look at his supposedly black LR opals. Good find Ed. Of course, it's par for the course for fleabay. :?

Postby Gecko109 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:59 am
All anyone has to do is type in an ebay search : "black opal" and then click the "auctions" tab and voila! Hundreds of smoked welos being advertised as lightning ridge blacks.

Postby OpalSupreme » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:32 pm

gingerkid wrote:
Hey, Ed! :) Thanks for posting the link. Problem is that I don't think I would be able to differentiate the smoked welos from the Black Opals from OZ. Is there any indications of how to tell them apart by just looking at them?

This is quite easy - I don't have to many black opals from LR and they are low grade opals but you can check some videos with black LR on web - note there is a big difference between smocked welo and black LR >
- most OZ black are not N1 Black ! natural color is dark gray/blueish tone
- most OZ have color bar on surface and solid black bottom - like natural doublet ---> NO 360/3D color (most time when you see high dome round cab with 360 fire -- this was treated Welo)
- when smocked Welo opal have inclusion on the bottom/back with the clay you will see that clay is also treated and have odd look (also you will not see similar clay in OZ black)
- and if you know some Welo patterns you should be able to see the difference ( I've seen 'black LR' which was smocked honey comb :shock: )

Check the videos from the TOP OZ sellers and compare this with Welo and 'Smocked Welo/LR' :P and you will see what I mean :)
Hope this will help (sorry for my eng.)

Greets

Postby altezza26 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 pm
Before the new "black smoked welo" wave hit the market, i noticed that those ebay sellers did the same big mistake about calling "LR opal" some classic welo ones.
Anyway, to reply to Gingerkid, even if OpalSupreme said enough, i just want to say that one of the most well-know and easy to remember fact about black LR opals is that the N1/N2 with bright red colors are extremly rare and expensive! So if you have any doubt now...

The most scandalous thing was about the fact that many sellers, at the begining, didn't mention about the treatment. And prices for those "natural black opals" were often very very high (i mean, wining auctions). So people paid hundreds of $ for a stone that will certainly craze or loose colors quite soon. Shame!

Unread postby mick » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:34 pm
I gots me a LR N1, its in my cutters gallery, it was from a 10 buck rough deal kinda thing, wasnt meant to be there I guess, I had it valued at a grand!

I must be doing something wrong with my searching, I will look again and complain if I have to.

Speaking of Ebay, I sold my first proper Opal last night $200. Now the buyer says he made a mistake, he pushed the wrong button. More like a pisstake than a mistake. Anyway the buyer is from ITALY, god alarm bells ringing like crazy, but the buyer has an excellent record and buys lots of Opal.

I guess best to forget the deal and just sting him for the relisting fees?

Unread postby Artfldgr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:44 pm
free market is always caveat emptor anyway.
and the desire to have it any other way is the desire to have a statist snooty up your booty every day in every way
and who will play every whine to a new power over the situation.

the public just doesnt want to accept that ignorance is not bliss its expensive....
and that as long as a few people decide to use a few terms and signposts to replace thinking and knowing
then this will continue to happen. the savvier the buyer the fewer the con artists

if anyone wants to see the prefect scientific experiment in this just look at Swarovsky, the diamond industry, and the past glass cheats... technically, Swarovsky is selling the same thing as really good cheats sell. but whats the difference? his company is worth 100s of millions and the liars companies are worth? (combined?)

people do this all the time as a way to fake knowing. ie. they cue off a few words and they fake knowing more.
its even wackier when they due this over history where their judge is usually the volume of others with the same points.
(ergo the "big lie" works rather than falls apart)

in fact you can even tell which do it a whole lot and for image purposes...
an often these are the same people who want jewelry and exotica, for image purposes...

these are the people who cheat and who complain the most about being cheated for not knowing and indignant that they really should know. and it comes with the idea that free market somehow converted to some consumer market where there is a price tag and validity everywhere you look within the land... no... the consumer market price tags keep you from haggling which is expensive to them on two fronts (and requires more knowledgeable sales people rather than minimum wage college kids looking for dorm money).

so you can look to the cheats and say. if you didn't exist, then we would live in utopia
or you can look to Darwin and say, cheats survive as long as...
in essence people are wishing that people give up and not survive doing what they fell into doing

my opinion? it isnt going to happen... ever.. even if you put lots of police and money there...

so the best you can do is make good sources of information for those who dont live this way.
and accept that to have the freedom of exchange, a bit of sour light has to shine once in a while

in reality they buy the cheat because they like the object, then get upset it wasn't worth what "they thought it was worth"
but what they thought it was worth is what the price tag says, not any actual sense of worth...
ie. worth is can i afford to pay whats on the price tag.

if they wanted real worth, they would have gone for more expensive real material from a reputable dealer
not thought they were getting vastly more expensive material for cheap they can then claim was 'worth more'

i can just see the solution... every stone needs a gia cert... or some such.
and with the certs costing more than the stones in most cases for a heck of a lot of cabbed material
there goes that issue... and the state saves money on investigations too.

given that fraud is already illegal, be careful as to what one may wish for - you may get it...
(even if one doesnt realize thats what they are wishing for)

Unread postby mastersculptor » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:59 pm
Gecko was right about typing in "Black Opal" in the search bar at fleabay......The very first "Lightning Ridge" I looked at was the second listing which was an obvious honeycomb oriented in the bumble bee pattern! 23hrs to go and bid is just a touch over $10.00 per ct and added it to watch list just to see what happens to selling price :lol:

The second being the first listing was just about all "RED" Flash with little green and just barely a hint of any blue".
The third did tell the truth regarding origin and treatment way down in the listing I had to scroll down a ways to find an obviously Lightning ridge looking one and thats where I quit. Took a grand total of 5 minutes including the copy paste of photo

Unread postby mastersculptor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:34 pm

EDGEgems wrote:
Go have a look at the ebay seller royal gems

Thats is one of the 2 sellers I found in under 10 minutes.....Seems we are all in agreement with fraudulant listing on as pink calls it, "Fleabay"! Facebook is just as bad!!!!!! Especially from the abundance from India! I found one seller on Youtube some of you may know that came across to me personaly the first time I watched it as hinting without saying so directly that all ethiopians are fakes as though he was trying counter the Ethiopian market to help austrailian opal sales. Upon watching it a second and third time realized it was most likely a poor choice in expressing the same disgust we have for this type of behavior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... J4Qly4VM3I
Perhaps those with time migh consider as someone else on this thread suggested.....try starting a thread to get suggestions to create an article to post on "Fleabay" creating a "lightning ridge black opal warning about the smoke/dye treatment currently being listed on ebay. It's federal law being violated and it really upsets me too!

mastersculptor

Unread postby Artfldgr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:14 am
The above is also very clearly photoshoped. Notice how the "patterns" are identical? They simply used a cloning tool and stamped the pattern over and over.

it may not be photoshopped...

i have a few wellos that if you use a light other than a point, repeat the images over and over..
quite a few do this...

what i think is that they are using a heater as a source of red a distance from the stone.
the regular light lights the stone. but the stone takes in and repeats the red design over and over that is in its view
in this way the fore is balanced, and the large red heat element is repeated over and over...

at least, thats my guess... though one can take the image and play in photoshop and figure it out...

Unread postby PinkDiamond » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:05 am

mastersculptor wrote:
Seems we are all in agreement with fraudulant listing on as pink calls it, "Fleabay"!

Hey, I'm not the only one, since I picked it up from others, but I use it to call it what it is, and to avoid having to put their name on the board where it can show up in a search. :lol:

mastersculptor wrote:
I found one seller on Youtube some of you may know that came across to me personaly the first time I watched it as hinting without saying so directly that all ethiopians are fakes as though he was trying counter the Ethiopian market to help austrailian opal sales. Upon watching it a second and third time realized it was most likely a poor choice in expressing the same disgust we have for this type of behavior.

I didn't get the impression that he was calling all Ethiopian opals fake, although I can see how someone unfamiliar with the problem with disclosure could interpret it that way, but I thought it was pretty obvious that he was only talking about the smoked/dyed Welos being passed off as LR blacks.

mastersculptor wrote:
Perhaps those with time migh consider as someone else on this thread suggested.....try starting a thread to get suggestions to create an article to post on "Fleabay" creating a "lightning ridge black opal warning about the smoke/dye treatment currently being listed on ebay. It's federal law being violated and it really upsets me too!

That's a great idea, but how would one go about posting an article on fleabay, and do you really think they would leave it up? :?:

Unread postby Artfldgr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:20 am
here is how it works since i was the person that made the original suggestion..
replace www with reviews when you go to ebay...
that will take you to reviews and guides - we are interested in guides...
if you click on the link (wherever you find it) that says "Write a guide!!", it will make you log in, and put you on an edit screen

you just give it a heading, and follow the directions and paste your text into that...

I was thinking of writing an overview guide for jade as i dont care for the one that is there... :)

you cant really use it as advertising as its forbidden, but nothing stops one from writing something
for the purpose of informing people. after all, if the free market is under "caveat emptor", let the buyer beware,
then this is a wonderful way to get the message out on things that can muck up everyone.

you will find that the issue between the fakes and the real is one of short term vs long term. the fakers are for short term profits. if they muck the water up, they move to something else. the more honest people are usually in it for long term profits, and so want the water kept clean as a continuous resource.

its not more complicated than that... lots of variations, but they add up to the same

this is why i suggested it above, as its relatively easy...
doesnt involve the state and people who work for them that tend to break things, or really anything more complicated than honesty well put.

keep the eye of sauron turned in another direction...
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

Thank you for bringing this thread over to Chris' new forum, Kurt.

I watched Gem Shopping Network Asian Collectibles and Max, the host, showed a couple of natural black welos.

He mentioned the smoked welos can turn back 'natural' if the first layer (the smoked part) were removed. Wonder if anyone has experimented with the smoked welos?
~ Jan ~

"...you gotta know your ABC's...
Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder
mick

Post by mick »

I see thousands of Opals listed as aussie black opals on several sites and they are all welo.

The price is the give away, its never priced properly.