CME IMPACT SPARKS AURORAS AND STEVE

What's going on out there?

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

CME IMPACT SPARKS AURORAS AND STEVE

Post by PinkDiamond »

What a bummer! I read this and made a beeline for the aurora cam, but it's not only still light in Canada but it's clouded over, so there's no aurora show there tonight, but check this out. 8-)

"CME IMPACT SPARKS AURORAS AND STEVE: As predicted, a CME hit Earth's magnetic field during the early hours of July 23rd. The impact sparked a display of photographic auroras over North America that reached as far south as Virginia. The mysterious ribbon of light named "STEVE" also made an appearance. Full story @ Spaceweather.com.

Taken by Stephanie Graudons on July 22, 2022 @ Monroe, NH

"At about 12 midnight, I noticed a familiar light purple vertical glow to the east," reports Greg Ash of Ely, Minnesota. "It was STEVE!"

STEVE is actually not an aurora. The purple-colored arc is the glow from a supersonic river of gas, which flows through Earth’s magnetosphere during some geomagnetic storms. Short for "Strong Thermal Emission Velocity Enhancement," STEVE is a relatively recent discovery.

Lauri Kangas of Ontario, Canada, saw STEVE, too. "It was quite an active display with green pickets dancing in the Milky Way amongst the satellites and airplanes," says Kangas. "STEVE appeared and disappeared several times over an hour around midnight CDT."

Regular auroras (not STEVE) were sighted from New Hampshire to Washington, and one photographer recorded their glow as far south as Virginia:

Peter Forister took this picture from the Shenandoah National Park. Using a long exposure, he captured a layer-cake of color with red auroras in the middle and green airglow on top. "The auroras were visible for just a few minutes around 12:15 am EST," says Forister.

The storm has subsided now. There is a slight chance that it could flare up again because the solar wind velocity in the CME's wake remains above 500 km/s. If it does re-ignite, however, we would expect no more than minor G1-class activity. Aurora alerts: SMS Text.

PS. Congratulations to NOAA analysts for a pinpoint prediction. The CME, which was hurled into space by a solar tsunami eruption on July 21st, arrived within one hour of their forecast. "

And from their Aurora image gallery I found this beauty:

Check out more from the gallery here.
https://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_u ... _id=187075
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: CME IMPACT SPARKS AURORAS AND STEVE

Post by SwordfishMining »

Ol' Sparky is waking up from the nap.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"