The unique ruby in Dubai could be worth $1000

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This reminds me of that massive ugly emerald that made the news a few years ago that was said to be worth millions,but it turned out to not be worth much at all once it was assessed by professionals. I tried to find the emerald article, but searching using 'world's largest emerald' pulled up over 800 references on 'large' and 'emerald' in articles on the Board, so I can't locate it for you. As for this ruby, people always want to think their finds are worth a lot more than they really are, but most of the weight of this one is the zoisite, and they can only guess at the size and quality of the ruby until it's released from the zoisite, but it doesn't look all that promising to me so we'll have to wait and see if any more news comes out about it. :roll:

Tuesday April 26 2022

The Tanzanian stone has "not beenheated", meaning "it has not been treated, so it's in its natural and that's why it's precious
Summary

In 2009, a 2 kg ruby-in-zoisite specimen named the “Gem of Tanzania was initially valued at £11m ($17.4m) and owned by UK Wrekin Construction was probably worth £100 .
By Paul Owere

"The display of the 2.8kg at the Waldorf Astoria Dubai International Financial Centre has generated sensational media hype across the world raising several questions than answers so far.

However, as it has emerged owners of the Ruby might find it difficult to auction the gemstone for the reported eye-popping $120 million which they have quoted after experts poked holes in its valuation.

And as if that is not enough, questions too have emerged over the real origins of the unique ruby with details now revealing that it could actually be from Longido and not Winza as earlier on claimed.

In fact, evidence shows that in Longido the specimen is sold in an open market and the green zoisite, known as “Anyolite” is named after the Maasai word anyoli, meaning “green.”

According to American gemologist and gemstone dealer Jeffery Bergman who has done extensive work both in Tanzania and elsewhere rubies from Winza are not found in green zoisite.

Writing in one of his articles which has been published in the International Gem Society (IGS) Mr Bergman says the claim that the 2.8kg Burj Alhamal ruby is the ... "

https://www.thecitizen.co.tz/tanzania/n ... 00-3794708
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)