Owl update

Post all non-opal carvings and creations here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

KKHK

Owl update

Post by KKHK »

Recently went to China and brought back some nephrite with skin to try my hand at something akin to cameo.
Looked easier than it is. :) :)

Here is my first try for your kind evaluation

Attempted something akin to Tribal Tattoo, but then got scared with the different levels of thickness, so started carving.
Still needs refining background, and polish. Hope to have pictures up before the month is out.

Tried another only to find that the skin is too thin, so will not stand out enough.

All good things are 3, so tried again today going back to the black one

So together with 4 FA's. and two agates, I got now 10 pieces as WIP

Thanks for looking, Have a great weekend, Kurt
Last edited by KKHK on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PinkDiamond

Re: Its been a while

Post by PinkDiamond »

I have an affinity for owls, so that's my favorite, and it's too bad about the skin on the cat one being too thin. Will you carve it anyway? And I don't know if it's just the lighting, but my favorite shot of the wolf is the 4th one in the first set of 4 pics. I love the way he sort of blends into the darkness on that one. Way cool Kurt, and I'm looking forward to seeing all of them as you complete them. Thanks for showing us, and have a great weekend yourself. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Lydia

Post by Lydia »

Always interested in what you are working on.
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Wolf still needs adjusting, something on his face is simply not right and bothers me big time. Got it that way already for nearly two weeks and don't know what to do.

The owl is a new project for August. Will be trying different materials two to three times. Had wanted to do some since years, but never got round to it.
The basic shape of owls is quite easy to do, but never had the incentive really to try until now.

In a couple of weeks, we will be staying in a cabin high up on a mountain here, that belongs to one of our neighbors here in the village. Last week we went there, so he could show me the house-rules. As we sat there for a couple of hours, he told me how he usually called his son back from to the cabin without having to shout or using the phone. He uses the sound of an Eagle-owl that is common to Eurasia. So, as he is not asking for money, or anything else for that matter, I thought I might reward his kindness to us, by making something for him. Two owls and the dog/wolf should do the trick, if done well. Everyone wins: I get to do something new in stone, and get a few days living up there without electricity away from all those people down here with the bonus of having my kids partaking. :) :) :) And my neighbor has a house-sitter, while on holiday in Greenland, and a few pendants of interest as everyone in that family seems to be into dogs and owls. :) :)
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Thats where we will be going

What we shall call home for a few days
Kerosene, candles for light, and a shovel for every toilet-run. :) :) :) No electricity or drinking-water, so everything has to be carried in from 3 hours away. Will make at least 4 supply-runs to have all the basics ready by the time we get there, so when we go, all we need to carry, is our food and a few spare clothes. Just like I remember from my youth in the alps.

One bonus though, if the next few weeks are not too dry, we got that pool to cool off in.....

Hard to imagine that the airport is barely 4 miles as the crow flies, and a 8 million people city just under 15 miles away.
Picture taken about 20 min walk from the cabin......
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

That is awesome that you're getting to do that with your family, and he's going to love the pieces!! It's really is hard to believe civilization lies below nearby, but that view is spectacular and even a big city couldn't ruin it. Have the best family vacation ever, Kurt. :!: :D
PinkDiamond

kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Wow! So much beauty! Both in nature AND your carvings! :D
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
KKHK

Re: Owl update

Post by KKHK »

Still not done, still needs proper claws, but did a light polish today to get a sense of colours in place.

At the same time, cut into the agate I got in China,
And lets try a Lizard from the other side.
And another owl. The skin should be thick enough to provide the owls shelter.
Image.

Thanks for looking, Kurt
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm trying to look at the wolf and see what might make it more wolfy, and the more I look at it I'm thinking maybe shortening the lower jaw just a hair, and thinning it out and making the neck line thinner might make the face look better. I think the top lines are right, but under that chin might be too broad, making the head look a bit too small? I'm thinking out loud here.... :idea: ...the lights are on, but maybe nobody's home. :lol:

Love the owl, and I'm looking forward to seeing the lizard and second owl. :)
PinkDiamond

OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

I like 1st owl - very cool - 1 day i need to try it since I'm from owl mountains :)

the wolf look like boar
> you made good outline (3rd photo) but then you add too much and changed few things

in 'original' version the wolf is howling and the 'mouth' are not so big ..and the nose is different

I think you focus to much on details like fur which is not so important
you should 1st finish the wolf and then add few accents like fur to make it more realistic but without changing the design
(hope this make sense :roll: )

still great work !

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<