Blackbay Opal from Canada.

Get an expert to answer all your Opal and Gemstone questions.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Rockranger

Blackbay Opal from Canada.

Post by Rockranger »

I will try to answer all your questions to the best of my ability, and post some information that I was able to pull from the BC govt regarding this opal find.I am also posting some pics so your able to see the material in question.There are 4 different types that I am going to show in the rough form and then finished. The 4 are Black, White, Crystal and Boulder. The first few pics are of the claim itself then a few opal rough and polished pics. Extraction of this opal is quite back breaking and time consuming quite similar how they remove it in africa. Mostly done with drills and expanding agents. DEPOSIT FORM: Favourable opal-bearing horizons are commonly stratabound. Occurrences of precious opal within these horizons are commonly considered as erratic, controlled by permeability at the time of opal deposition. Individual precious opal-bearing fractures or lenses may grade into common opal and agate over distances of centimetres.

TEXTURE/STRUCTURE: Opal occurs as open space fillings in irregular cavities, narrow discontinuous seams, partially-filled pillow tubes, fractures, vesicles, matrix in volcaniclastic rocks and replacing wood fragments and logs. Common opal may form miniature stalagmites and stalactites within cavities, nodules in clay or diatomite beds and "thunder eggs. GENETIC MODELS: In many large opal districts, it is believed that during the longer periods of volcanic inactivity, shallow lakes developed. Forests grew along the lake-shores and driftwood accumulated in the lakes. Volcanic eruptions covered everything with pyroclastic materials capped by lava flows resulting in aquifers, perched water tables, and anomalies in the thermal gradient. This in conjunction with subsequent brittle tectonic deformation resulted in ideal conditions for the formation of hydrothermal systems. A variety of silica forms, including silica sinter, opaline silica, chalcedony and common opal are believed to have formed by deposition of silica-bearing fluids. The dissolved SiO2 content in water is well known to be temperature dependent with the maximum dissolution at around 325°C, however, the conditions needed for the precipitation of precious opal in volcanic environment are not well understood. At least a portion of the opal-CT in volcanic rocks is believed to precipitate directly from supersaturated solutions. The temperatures of formation for precious opal are expected to be relatively low by analogy to sedimentary-hosted precious opal deposits, but temperatures as high as 160°C are reported from fluid inclusion studies. No precious opal is reported from active hydrothermal fields, such as Geyser Valley, Yellowstone or Whakarewarewa (New Zealand). This suggests that the precious opal forms only under very specific physico-chemical conditions. Eh and definitely pH may be important. Chemical composition of hydrothermal fluids in terms of silica concentrations, as well as Na, K, Cl, Ca, SO4, HCO3, B, Li and other elements may be important. The composition of the silica-bearing fluid is probably modified during migration through the permeable host rock, specially if the latter contains zeolites and/or clays. Zeolites act as molecular sieves and are well known for their cation exchange properties ALTERATION MINERALOGY: Opal-bearing cavities may have zeolite and celadonite coatings, but so do the barren cavities. There is no known alteration which is specific to precious opal.
Thanks for taking some interest in this opal and your time to read and view some pics.
Your feedback is appreciated.
Image Image Image Image Image

Last edited by Rockranger on Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
opalcreations

Re: Blackbay Opal from Canada.

Post by opalcreations »

Thanks for posting that Rockranger.
I had a nice collection of this Bc opal as I lived in BC for years, but it was stolen unfortunately.

The interesting thing about that material is that some of it looks like Honduran volcanic opal, some looks like Australian boulder opal, and some even looks like Welo or crystal opal. It's weird and wonderful stuff, I love it!
Chris :)
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

10000 hits? I figured it was worth posting. :)
Thanks
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

That's wonderful information Rock, thank you for sharing it and those great pics with us. The opals are gorgeous, and after seeing all the pics I'm not surprised the area has various ones that are like the different types of opal found around the world. Excellent! And thanks for educating us on these beautiful Canadian opals. That was a very nice presentation. :!:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

opalcreations wrote:Thanks for posting that Rockranger.
I had a nice collection of this Bc opal as I lived in BC for years, but it was stolen unfortunately.

The interesting thing about that material is that some of it looks like Honduran volcanic opal, some looks like Australian boulder opal, and some even looks like Welo or crystal opal. It's weird and wonderful stuff, I love it!
Chris :)

yes indeed it's strange and rough also looks very much like Dubnik opal from Slovakia

@RR awesome info thanks for sharing
I guess it's hard rock work to digg this out
the colors are really nice and I like the dendrite
black ones are awesome

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Were those all yours RR? Beautiful :!:
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

No, couple of my pics were some of my Aunts.
Thanks all, for the positive feedback.
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

Thanks for posting your information and photos on the Blackbay opal, RR!
~ Jan ~

"...you gotta know your ABC's...
Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder