Psychedelic Jellies Caught on Video in Monterey Canyon

Discussion and pictures of your favorite critters!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SwordfishMining

Psychedelic Jellies Caught on Video in Monterey Canyon

Post by SwordfishMining »

It was interesting to see the size of these.
Marine biologists from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) have observed several species of the jellyfish genus Crossota in Monterey Bay, California.

....They have red coloration, a hemispherical bell, eight tubular or pendant gonads, tentacles in single or multiple rows.

They swim with a series of strong pulsing contractions, usually followed by a period of quiescence.

MBARI biologists used a remotely operated vehicle to observe Crossota jellyfish in Monterey Canyon, a submarine canyon in Monterey Bay, California.

“Our robotic submersibles give us a peek at how animals thrive in the ocean’s dark depths,” they noted....

Among the jellies encountered by the team was Crossota millsae, a species recently described from the Pacific Ocean off Hawaii and California and dubbed ‘psychedelic jelly.’

“The remarkable coloration of this jelly tipped off scientists that they had found a previously unknown species,” the scientists said....
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Re: Psychedelic Jellies Caught on Video in Monterey Canyon

Post by PinkDiamond »

That's wild seeing creatures of the deep that we'd never get to see otherwise. Nice find, John. 8-)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Rockranger

Re: Psychedelic Jellies Caught on Video in Monterey Canyon

Post by Rockranger »

8-)