Rare sights in the sky

What's going on out there?

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Re: Rare sights in the sky

Post by PinkDiamond »

Nice shots, guys. When the flare comes the way it shows in the pic Rock posted, they call it 'the diamond ring', which is, of course, a very appropriate description. I love the shot in the dome, John, and the other one's excellent for shooting into the sun. Nice going, even if Rock didn't take that shot. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

Playing around with the cam and tried to catch a bolt of lighting in action. Got lucky and shot this from the back door.

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wow, Rock, good one! Just be careful doing that because that bolt could just as easily have headed your way instead of going where it did. :!:

When I was a kid, my girlfriend and I were walking around the neighborhood as a storm was approaching late one afternoon, and lightning struck the house we were standing next to. Scared the crap out of us, and I can tell you that the strike left every hair on my body standing on end after the hit. :lol:

And shortly before we moved here, the phone rang as we were closing the office one night, so of course I felt the need to answer it during a very severe thunderstorm, and it was like something invisible moved the phone away from my head just before the line was struck by lightning, which threw me into Steve's office, and the woman in the next office who was typing on her electric typewriter, got thrown to the floor. :o

That's why I won't answer the phone during a t-storm unless it's cordless. :lol:
PinkDiamond

Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

PinkDiamond wrote:Wow, Rock, good one! Just be careful doing that because that bolt could just as easily have headed your way instead of going where it did. :!:

When I was a kid, my girlfriend and I were walking around the neighborhood as a storm was approaching late one afternoon, and lightning struck the house we were standing next to. Scared the crap out of us, and I can tell you that the strike left every hair on my body standing on end after the hit. :lol:

And shortly before we moved here, the phone rang as we were closing the office one night, so of course I felt the need to answer it during a very severe thunderstorm, and it was like something invisible moved the phone away from my head just before the line was struck by lightning, which threw me into Steve's office, and the woman in the next office who was typing on her electric typewriter, got thrown to the floor. :o

That's why I won't answer the phone during a t-storm unless it's cordless. :lol:

:lol: This one would have made you nervous. Came in late July. I'm gonna say one of my best pics this summer. :)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Thats a great picture alright. Gotta love the contrasts.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Whoa! That's quite an anvil cloud you've got there ... or is that a shelf cloud?? Either way, those things always make me nervous because they look so menacing, and usually the outflow winds are where the high gusts are. Scary! :o
PinkDiamond

Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

PinkDiamond wrote:Whoa! That's quite an anvil cloud you've got there ... or is that a shelf cloud?? Either way, those things always make me nervous because they look so menacing, and usually the outflow winds are where the high gusts are. Scary! :o

Your correct, Its a shelf cloud. This was the hail stones from it. Solid ice.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yikes! Ones that size can do serious damage to windows, cars, and metal roofs. It looks like a tiny mace with those spikes! :o
PinkDiamond

SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Hail! That could sure soften yer noggin and ruin your day.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
mick

Post by mick »

One day when I was riding the bike and almost blue with cold. Then it started to pelt hail, tiny hail, Ive never been in so much pain. LIke thousands of little needles.

We are having acric blast, snow down to 600ft.