Rare sights in the sky

What's going on out there?

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SwordfishMining

Re: Rare sights in the sky

Post by SwordfishMining »

We can have free memberships to watch at the Slooh site. There is an eclipse broadcast today besides the one in a couple weeks. Today is a partial on the moon. https://www.slooh.com/
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

Perseid meteor shower

No matter where you live worldwide, the 2017 Perseid meteor shower will probably produce the greatest number of meteors on the mornings of August 11, 12 and 13. In a dark, moonless sky, this shower often produces 50 or more meteors per hour. But, in 2017, we’ll have to contend with the light of a bright waning gibbous moon, which rises at mid-evening and washes the sky during the peak hours of the shower, between midnight and dawn. A good number of Perseid meteors will be bright, so you should be able to see some Perseids, despite the moonlit glare.
By the way, there’s a rumor going around that the 2017 Perseid meteor shower will be the best in 96 years. It’s not true.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Thanks for the link, John. That will be helpful! :!:

That's a gorgeous shot Rock, and thanks for the heads up on the Perseids this year. You didn't take that shot, did you? I ask because if you did, you should sell that one to a magazine, it's that good. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

PinkDiamond wrote:Thanks for the link, John. That will be helpful! :!:

That's a gorgeous shot Rock, and thanks for the heads up on the Perseids this year. You didn't take that shot, did you? I ask because if you did, you should sell that one to a magazine, it's that good. :)

I wish I could of caught something like that. :lol:
No not my pic, shot last year in Banff and the pic went viral.
Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

Some of the early morning show. Pics taken by the locals out here. It's kinda a hit and miss this summer catching them, with all the BC smoke from the fires hazing out the sky.

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Fantastic shots! Boy, to see that with your own eyes and capture shots like that would be awesome. :!: Are you out in the wee hours and seeing them when it's clear enough, Rock? Way cool! :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

PinkDiamond wrote:Fantastic shots! Boy, to see that with your own eyes and capture shots like that would be awesome. :!: Are you out in the wee hours and seeing them when it's clear enough, Rock? Way cool! :)
Not much during the long summer days, now that days are getting shorter it becomes easier to catch them.
rocks2dust

Post by rocks2dust »

Eclipse came and went. Got dark for a long time and automatic yard lights flicked on, but I'm on the edge, so totality didn't last long. Birds had barely enough time to get back to their roosts, so what I found more impressive was that the noise from roads ceased completely for about 15 minutes. Starting to brighten up now, so time for another breakfast!
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

If this aint photo shopped, it's one heck of a pic!

SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Nice lens flare RR. I was going to record the shadow coming and going but the phone decided to turn itself right back off after being set and turned on. Oh well. Had the opal cam on me. If you look close you can see the sun flare is occluded by the moon. Visited my cousin at Mcdonalds Farm Ranch Rock Fee Dig for a few days. Got a little Angel wing agate, Thunder Eggs with pink opal, and petrified Meta-Sequoia besides the common river cobble agates and occasional wood and jasper from Pony Butte Creek. 3-2-1$ a lb and free at the campsites out in the alfalfa fields, creek & hills while walking my dog. Even found an area of almost polyhedral shaped agates along with some fortified red skinned vein pieces. I sure needed a vacation from picking up rocks around here, right? I got and actual log round (over 8') of the trees with a knot to cut in half someday. Even some pink bubbly material to tempt Pink with later.
Dome with eclipse light. Black from Rainbow Ridge Mine
Dome with eclipse light. Black from Rainbow Ridge Mine

2017 Eclipse from Ridge between Pony Butte and Hay Creek by Madras, Or.
2017 Eclipse from Ridge between Pony Butte and Hay Creek by Madras, Or.
P1080892a.jpg (29.37 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"