Britt’s July 4 Pick: Victorian Ring By Fred Leighton

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Although this one from the late 1800's isn't my cup of tea, it's gorgeous in its own right, and a good choice for celebrating Independence Day. 8-)

By Brittany Siminitz | June 29, 2021

"It’s not often that I find myself hopelessly drawn to an antique piece of jewelry that comes from an era that isn’t art deco. I’m a sucker for 1920s style (then again who isn’t?) with its clean lines and geometric beauty, but that’s probably because it meshes with modern looks almost seamlessly.

But this particular piece, a glorious dish, comes to us from the Victorian era—and it’s just right for celebrating the upcoming Fourth of July holiday.

With its gemstone combination in red, white, and blue, Fred Leighton’s dreamboat of a ring—which does, in fact, look a bit like a boat filled with treasure, does it not?—is estimated to be from sometime in the 1890s. Imagine its story! I wonder, was it ever worn in the spirit of a national holiday, or perhaps gifted to a loved one with a birthday in June? Though moonstone appears to play the starring role, it has lots of support from a cast of detailed characters.

It kind of reminds me of a box of chocolates, or one filled with precious ornaments. The filigree acts as the tissue paper, keeping its contents protected as they make their journey to someone special. Inside, a glowing center moonstone, elegant and somewhat ghostly, anchors the design. For color, a magnificent quartet of cushion ruby and sapphire gives us that patriotic flair primed for Independence Day. And then, of course, there are the diamonds—the piece wouldn’t be quite the same without the old mine–cut sparklers—glittering and rich with history, most certainly a focus for those who live for vintage jewels.

A sensational ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... -leighton/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
rocks2dust

Re: Britt’s July 4 Pick: Victorian Ring By Fred Leighton

Post by rocks2dust »

The moonstone looks like it has a cat's eye. Could be just the lighting, but would be a more worthy centerpiece if it does have a bright line. Because of the yellow gold, the flag association didn't jump out at me, but it is a nice ring regardless of what links anyone sees. I totally agree with the candy box analogy. I laughed at your "cup of tea" comment because of the Boston Tea Party, but also since the UK's flag also is red, white, and blue (as are many others, such as North Korea's, Russia's, and Cuba's).
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else