Slow Opal

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SwordfishMining

Re: Slow Opal

Post by SwordfishMining »

Cool. I like to picture the better ones as treasured. Some of my better deals have been to people I got tired of talking to as they were drooling over things they could not afford with all the good they do in their lives.
I really have not been doing much, washing rough or sawing gem silica,I sell it by the box on ESTY at the copper ore price as I pick out the gem silica to sell as such by itself.
remem cutting ovals and just the brightest will double your cutting losses (as if i measure? my opal & wood probably runs over 99% by weight cut off the gem).
Flats from the finer wheels were my nemesis cutting.
Personally I like fracture sealing the break faces for the first & possible the only stone out of the runners up. Then when you have so many, its easy to just category them as 5 -10-15-20-50-100 & by the piece opals for cabinets, wet opals i like jars over rubber corked tubes.
Glen has a opal carving up at the mine of uncrazed crystal opal in water of a turtle inches across with good play of color, that would craze probably if it was ever drieds, but done completely wet, they look great with no matrix on them.
As I retire, this would be the last social i clicked out of to never come back.
We've all babbled in the threads about how were doing things over the years, but keeping it fresh is whats important.
20210513_153002 JB weld CA.jpg

Personally i just Star bonded some thin crazy vein onto jb weld, opposite order then cut them apart with shear until i can get the wheels to it.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

No matter how "fast" I go, this sanding and shaping by hand is slow! Not complaining really, it just is. Today, did a matrix opal that is not my personal favorite color, I'll attach a pic so you can see and decide for yourself. It did take a pretty good polish though! And it IS my favorite opal that I did today!
And it does have lots of red sparkle too!!!.....lol...
Someone already said, "hey I LIKE that" so maybe its a deal where I don't enjoy pumpkin pie, but others really do like it. Maybe the setting, or an accent stone also in the setting would be good, dunno yet.
I didn't retreat it, I mean re-carbonize the matrix.
So here is 11.6 carats of beautiful brown matrix opal... I think if you click on it and then hit the "+" it will enlarge the detail?
Attachments
Darkbrownred.jpg
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

You've got another good one there, although like you, the brown doesn't ring my bell but the colors are there and lots of people like earthy brown tones so I think it's another good one. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

The next matrix opal looks pretty bleak, here it is. Must've bought it because it was inexpensive, don't remember...
But, you never know...lol...
Attachments
Maybe.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

And then this is the next step...
After removing material and shaping, they go to a creamy color, with just about no opal visible.
The creamy color is the natural matrix color as it comes out of the ground, pretty much, well, in this instance anyways...
It will be a while til its carbonized and then polished, but good or not so good I'll post a pic.
I'll go out on a limb here and say this one will not be a gem, but there is some color there....somewhere...lol... and like usual, you just sometimes never know...
Attachments
Whaaa.jpg
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I hope they both surprise you and show color as you work them. You just never know which way it will go with opal rough. ;)
PinkDiamond

skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Epic explosion at Slow Opal! :o I HEARD this one. Really its just a soft "pop" or quick "pffft" sound.
So, sorry to post that I don't have anything TO post. And, slightly embarrassed because its likely some sort of operator error (me) I just don't have the presence of mind to figure it out right now. :oops: I kept the pieces and I'll examine both procedure and micro examine the pieces tomorrow.
The good news is that I had the brown one in there too, and it was fine, and got darker like I wanted it to so the red shows up more.
So, being a dedicated opal person, I will be back at it in a couple of days. Probably better read the humor/humour section a few times to reset...lol...! ;)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Same stone, the bottom photo is after initial treatment, shaping and polishing.
The top photo is after re-treatment and polishing.
The body tone is darker, stone looks a bit different, color is more readily differentiated. I just thought I'd show what another carbonizing treatment does, at least to this stone...lol...
Attachments
darkbodytone.jpg
Darkbrownred.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Last one before a couple of days off...Hey its hot out here, where's the fan? Well, its right here, of course! 10.09 Carats of Andamooka matrix opal goodness...lol.... "The Fan".
Yea I know, it looks like a clam shell, a fossil. Its not. This one had no re-carbonize treatment after the initial one. But for now it looks ok. We'll see later.
Don't know if my English friends still use this abbreviation of letters for a phrase, but they used to, so TTFN...lol... If its an anachronism now, would someone be kind enough to say so, and let me know the current equivalent?... ;)
Attachments
TheFan.jpg
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

LOL, TTFN still works, not to worry. :lol:

That's too bad about the explosion, but since the other stone was in there too and came out fine I'm inclined to say it was a flaw in the opal rather than an operator error. Are there any salvageable chips with color? If you have a tank they can make nice fish gravel if nothing else.

I hope you're not gone too long because your thread has garnered a lot of interest, based on the number of views, so you're obviously doing great and readers are learning the ins and outs of the sugaring process, whether you've had a success of a failure. I venture to say that with opals containing so much water, even a minuscule amount expanding quickly could account for the exploded opal, so don't rush to blame yourself. ;)
PinkDiamond