Slow Opal

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

skywalker753

Re: Slow Opal

Post by skywalker753 »

So this is a Coober Pedy opal...teal, orange, and a bit of other colors too. It shows pretty well when turned in the light (play of color and sparkle), but I still can not get a pic that shows the full color like it is in person. I know, I know, practice, play with settings, get a better camera...LOL...
Anyways I know its not "world class", but I still like it...simple and can wear with most anything. 5 plus carats on the opal, and a tiny diamond, in 14k under my desk lamp.
A new aspect is that I like to just know someone is wearing it, and likes it enough TO wear it, don't even have to see it really...lol... :)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Very nice! That's a beautiful pendant and I'm impressed with it. If you need someone to wear it for you I'm always available. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Thanks for the kind words Pink! That one already has another owner tho...lol... Hope to be doing more actual pendants.
I will be doing another smallish solid opal stone in the next few days here...we will see how it goes! (hopefully good)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

A mostly drop shaped blue and teal opal.  Details below in an additional post...
A mostly drop shaped blue and teal opal. Details below in an additional post...
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

I'd been wanting to do this dark blue opal wih decent play of color for a while, but its got a couple of problems, one is obvious--the dark curved potch line in the face. And a couple of sand spots in the face (can't see them in this magnification but I know they are there!...lol...)
So, I can see that I could just keep it a drop shape but about a quarter the size, but thats where my limited dexterity comes into play at about that size.
SO, I will keep it as is and be happy... well, maybe polish it a bit more but thats it. 16.7 carats as is now.
I DO have some cerium on my fingers...but the camera did the skin tone like that automatically. :roll: The opal appears pretty much as it really is. :)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Thanks for doing this. I seem to be the king of procrastination. Its easy when you "Just cut what ever isn't color" as if the color ran forever and the flaws failed to follow thru. I literally have no space to cut thats not clogged with some kind of rough or estate clearing horde right now. AND I saw snow obstructing my view at the back of Virgin Valley this morning. Wont stick yet, but the outside temps have hit the teens already for this winter. Any opal on the surface is getting its proving it can freeze dry again.
My friend conceded I can bring what ever i dont use down in the way of materials to his house and if he hasnt used it......I could use it later. I'm afraid if i put in a new shop or house, Id just spread into it still not accomplishing much. I need others making money for me, but never fostered that over the digging. The library here is going to run an ongoing estate type sale too when we get the inside of the annex, the old Denio Hotel, refinished. Right now its still a shell...and filled like a garage from the bunch of us. The little library next to it, the school also uses as space & resource, has a nice rock garden next to it. Got the Turkey shoot coming right up with the Community Club too. And Guns raffle. Proceeds help keep the shooting range upkept.
It's not like I dont do anything. Just upgraded to fiber optics into the house AND I even went thru & highgraded my small Mexican rough again. I'm just not up to making a million pictures without a little studio Im not balancing on my bedspread! Videos do sell and I have an issue with even more involvement online with say tic toc or instagram on top of what already is taking most of my time, less all the entertainment of course. And did re organize the chrysocolla trailer so I could get all the grits together as I just inherited another addition to almost every category of stuff i had here. High grading takes time LOL> well after the sorting in. As it was I had to have a steroid shot in my thumb joint yesterday at the Dr.
Hmmm - picture of Mexican wet rough. And its here for not looking attractive to cut, not that it wouldnt put something out. I do try and standardize what id be selling or using later at the cutting grade level, which is what clogs me with thousands of specimens that I cant seem to push flats of as they dont have enough opal on each piece to bully a gemstone out of. i like them like crystals in their small size and uniqueness and never tossed them back in the dirt after finding them. I have a bucket of wood with opal on it that out there frozen in the driveway as I dont worry about the opal if it was not dried yet and not sparkling like a pride parade. There are tons of washed material stacked around waiting to be dealt with or decorated with. Not that I can bring myself to just toss all that low grade opal potch into a tumbler, some UVs and the woods are so cute look better rough than rounded down, but not shiny and Now we are way down one burrow in the stone warren I live in- LOL. Took 10 min at least to find these on the phone shrink these down and crop. I still need to shop around to see what the price & availability now is. Auctions seem to fail more than work so Im looking there first. Then shipping if not priority mail or customs. wah wah i think I hear a vibro tumble full of rhodenite calling my name.
20231107_224627a.jpg
20231107_224543a.jpg
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

So, the above pics are wet Mexican rough? Looks like some nice amber color, white-ish, and clear too. I can't facet (yet!...lol...) but from the view here it looks like some good material to facet. How does that look when its cabbed?

I have a piece of rough that some here will immediately recognize for what it is, but I won't tell you...yet...LOL... Yes, its opal...Yes its from....wait I said I wasn't going to tell you...lol...
I'll find it and post a pic...
Its ugly, but has potential! (man, hope I didn't post a pic before...can't remember...lol...) ;) :lol:
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

This not-pretty rough is one on my list for next.  I don't know if or what it will make, but I'll try in the next week.  Ish.  I'll post later both what it is, and what it was sold to me as.... (good seller, Not fraudulent).
This not-pretty rough is one on my list for next. I don't know if or what it will make, but I'll try in the next week. Ish. I'll post later both what it is, and what it was sold to me as.... (good seller, Not fraudulent).
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Yes it's small tho. They usually facet it as it normally has a glow, not play of color. It is usually cut as opal if straight up color, faceted if no POC and cabbed with deep bellies and high domes to catch the light for contra luz, not just to add weight. Thats about the mix of hues but these are all clears, less the matrixi the corner with a couple tiny veins in it. Ive got a hundred ct parcel around here somewhere of all fire with POC or CL...these have color in the direct light and show the typical cut, non calibrated.
pict36.JPG
pict36.JPG (14.77 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
I'd guess it was boulder if it was hard or Queensland fairy if it was soft.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Hey, I like those examples! Thx for showing them.

Also, a family member of mine said it looked like red granite to them...lol...nope. I didn't laugh when they guessed that, cuz any participation is good participation...lol...
Here IS a pic of red granite (below, next post), or striped red granite from my 48 acres....although granite is NOT native to right here it is plentiful here now in boulders brought and deposited here in the last glaciation period. Best I could estimate it is from a mining area in Canada north of here, or south of here in Pennsylvania...I am not a geologist, but thats what it seemed like to me...