Slow Opal

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

skywalker753

Re: Slow Opal

Post by skywalker753 »

Well, here's a couple of pics, one under a regular desk lamp, and one under an LED desk lamp. Has good play of color in hand, and I like that I can see gold color (in hand anyways!...lol...)
Just an observation, I'm always trying to get it "just a little bit better!!!", and in general thats good and a challenge. I'm learning how to say to myself, "stop right there!". Size, shape, color, and polish.....
Attachments
OKcolor.jpg
OKcolor2.jpg
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Boy, that really is a light base. So the stones we've seen so far came pre-treated? What sort of treatment did they get, and is the one above pre-treated? :?:

That's too bad the color was lost, but hopefully after carbonization some will show through. Fingers crossed for you. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Oh, yes, a lot of matrix material is slabbed, roughed out and also given an initial rough carbonization ( by a miner, broker or dealer). So, that gives an idea of how the stone will face (and the color). Not cut into shape yet, and not polished. And when dry its not very colorful at all. Again, thats most matrix, or most rough matrix that I have seen. And most all of what I've cut. Then, when its cut, it needs a final carbonization because a lot of the initial carbonization is rubbed or sanded away.
Then, its pretty unusual to date to be able to buy untreated (uncarbonized) matrix opal. This completely untreated matrix opal is what I'll be getting a few parcels of in the near future. Never had any of that before now. A lot of it is naturally cream colored. The color can be hard to see initially.
The stone right above (the two pics) went through my carbonization. You're right, it IS pretty light base. I mean I could carbonize it again, but I don't think I will. Maybe its just a crummy stone or a crummy cutting process (mine).
I believe I may have confused the issue, sorry about that. I'll try to be clearer in the future. I like matrix opal, and sharing it!
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

I did rub away that top layer of color on the previous stone (the green color), didn't see how to avoid it as that layer was super thin, and to get it smooth and polished it just was not thick enough. Or, not thick enough for my skill set...lol... Anyway, I saw that it had yellow, some orange, and a bit of blue, below that so just made it what I could. Still learning both the big and small lessons!
I have selected what looks like really pretty rough for the next by hand Andamooka matrix opal. Not traditional full rainbow color pretty, but kind of bold, with a pretty dark background, and only broad flashes of blue and green. Guess I'll take a pic of the rough and post it before I start getting to work.
I'm looking forward to this one...
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Here is a couple of pics of the next rough matrix opal. Its been rough carbonized at the "factory" to make some of the color visible... And its 14.17 rough carats.
I THINK it may be good enough to make a double sided, but we'll see... :)
Attachments
Front1.jpg
Back1.jpg
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

It's too bad you lost the color on the other one, and maybe that explains why sometimes we've seen what appears to be a somewhat wavy surface visible on the surface of an opal, meaning the cutter was saving color by not flattening it.

This one looks really promising and would be great if you can make it double-sided. Hope it comes out great. :)
PinkDiamond

skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

This Andamooka Matrix opal has pretty ok color, and good play of color too. I am happy with this stone!... CAN see the color can't really see the play of color in pics...lol... anyways, I did the usual by hand steps, it made it through carbonization, and then final sanding and polishing. This is one where I will do a second carbonization tomorrow, to darken the background a bit more for better contrast. Personal preference I guess, I like it fine now, but think it may be just a bit nicer. The stone is essentially done, but for doing the extra darkening. Its 11.99 carats, overall it took a pretty good hand polish, and it is polished on the back. The top pic is outside, the rest are under a desk lamp.
Here's some pics:
Attachments
FaceOutside.jpg
Face1.jpg
Face2.jpg
Back2.jpg
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Well, it IS polished just a bit better...lol...I am not certain about the body being darker and the contrast better. Maybe just a shade...literally and figuratively... But, it did make it through carbonization again, and I still do like it.
The top pic is outside, the bottom pic is inside at the desk lamp. Thats it for this Andamooka Matrix opal... 11.91 carats.
Attachments
NewDarkerOutside.jpg
NewDarkerInside.jpg
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm surprised it didn't come out darker, but it does look really good. :)
PinkDiamond

skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Yeah, I do wish the carbonization "took" just a bit better the second time. I think it got only very fractionally darker in body tone. Which is ok. Where I CAN see a difference is in the play of color in hand, big improvement, but that shows exactly zero in a pic! Maybe if I learned to do yout....nah, I'm still learning to take an acceptable photo!...lol...
On to the next one!