Slow Opal

This category is the best place to discuss cutting opal.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SwordfishMining

Re: Slow Opal

Post by SwordfishMining »

If its any consolation I cant remember the last piece I did on a machine. Got bags of rough & rubs LOL Ive been busy trying to get a minority protected, opal rockhounds, as F&W and the DOI are creating new regulations left and right without comment periods. Id like to be represented if for nothing else than calling out the ruin me financially agenda. Until then there is opal and the eclipse this weekend.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Maybe if I did enough of them on a machine, I'd smack myself in the forehead and go "duh!!!"....as in thats the way to go...but I do enjoy doing opal by hand. Takes forever admittedly...lol...
I'll have to re-figure out how to post pics here, have got a few new ones...
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Heres a matrix opal NOT treated, normal rock color
Heres a matrix opal NOT treated, normal rock color
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Same Matrix opal as above, just treated now.  Thought maybe some would like to see treated/untreated diff.
Same Matrix opal as above, just treated now. Thought maybe some would like to see treated/untreated diff.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

That's a very nice one sky, and the treatment definitely brings out the colors. Nice work! :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Most of the Coober Pedy white rough I'm able to get looks similar to this.  Size wise they're about an inch long and wide, so maybe 4-5 grams, or 20-25 carats or so.  regular room light, no magnification.  a lot of times I really gotta look for the color, get the stone wet and use magnification....and my expectations always need to be managed...lol...
Most of the Coober Pedy white rough I'm able to get looks similar to this. Size wise they're about an inch long and wide, so maybe 4-5 grams, or 20-25 carats or so. regular room light, no magnification. a lot of times I really gotta look for the color, get the stone wet and use magnification....and my expectations always need to be managed...lol...
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

8-) Hey, thanks for the comments Swordfishmining and Pink, very nice to see you're still posting and moderating here!
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

This small piece is a Coober Pedy opalized shell, maybe a clam shell piece.  I was attracted to the visible red color, and of course had visions of grandeur...lol...(it did turn out, just not the way I expected)...
This small piece is a Coober Pedy opalized shell, maybe a clam shell piece. I was attracted to the visible red color, and of course had visions of grandeur...lol...(it did turn out, just not the way I expected)...
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

just a freeform shape, but with nice bright color not visible in the rough....left the red unexplored...
just a freeform shape, but with nice bright color not visible in the rough....left the red unexplored...
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

This is sort of an aside, but I was saddened to see that Steve of Village Smithy Opals, is going out of business. His website is still functional, and he is having a going out of business sale. Retiring, according to the website. Good blogs, good stories, good adventures, and decent opal too. Not intended to be an advert for him, just letting you know...
So, Good Luck to you Steve (if he sees this)!!!
And maybe you can find a bargain cab on the site, or send him a message to say congrats.
I'm not sure now but I think I bought the four rough Coober Pedy opals in the above pic from him a bit ago. Time marches on for all of us!
.....sorry if this info is repeated elsewhere on the site here, I just didn't see it.....