Milamore’s Latest Collection Riffs On Kintsugi’s Jagged Lines

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

We have two other threads on kintsugi, the art of repairing broken gems, and I said in both threads that I don't care for the items shown, but these are different in that we're not actually seeing repaired gemstones, so I thought y'all might find this one interesting, although I can't say I'm particularly fond of these pieces either but at least we're not looking at gems wearing blow-out patches. :lol:

In this one, the ring in the lead pic is alright, but if I had to pick one of these I'd say the necklace isn't too bad at all, and much more preferable than the strange earring design. I'll give you the links to the other two other articles posted here on kintsugi below the link to this story so you can refresh your memory and compare those pieces to these. To me these are much more preferable than the ones with the repaired jewels. What do y'all think? :?:

By Emili Vesilind | May 27, 2021

"Kintsugi, the ancient Japanese art of mending broken ceramics, gemstones, and other materials by creating smooth (but intentionally obvious) gold seams with a fast-drying lacquer, is enjoying a resurgence in the fine jewelry world.

Italian fine jewelry brand Pomellato partnered with a master Japanese kintsugi artist to create a collection of striking pieces for 2021’s Paris Haute Couture Week. And indie designers Jamie Joseph and Jennifer Dawes have both debuted lines featuring mended gemstones inspired by kintsugi.

The latest collection from fine jewelry brand Milamore puts a new spin on kintsugi by spotlighting the ancient art’s seams as stand-alone designs, without the materials they might have rejoined. The 18k gold pieces, many of which include diamonds, look as though they once held pieces of lapis lazuli or cracking ceramic that have since fallen away, leaving only the meandering lines of gold behind.

Kintsugi diamond necklace in 18k yellow gold, $2,200

Kintsugi diamond line earring (sold as single) in 18k yellow gold, $1,080

The 2-year-old Milamore is based in New York City, but its pieces are made exclusively in Japan—and Milamore cofounder Azusa Yamato comes from a long line of respected jewelry crafters in Japan.

The brand’s other cofounder, CEO and creative director George Inaki Root, tells JCK, “I was drawn to kintsugi because I’m in love with its philosophy. The focus is on the ‘repair’ of broken pieces. This holds such deep metaphorical meaning.”

He explains, “Regardless of our gender, age, or background, we all have challenges or ‘broken’ parts. I’ve always been attracted to the way people overcome or mend. There is resilience and strength in that!”

In the new collection, he says, kintsugi is represented by ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... -kintsugi/

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5157&p=18907&hilit=kintsugi#p18907

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5606&p=19634&hilit=kintsugi#p19634
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Milamore’s Latest Collection Riffs On Kintsugi’s Jagged Lines

Post by SwordfishMining »

That pattern does exist in nature so mind will see it. I agree if it was seam filling on a pot is one thing but a major addition to gemstone, i dont think so. As an artist, it all is art to somebody and a lot of people wish i made ovals or rings.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"