Atmospheric Carbon and our weather.

What's going on out there?

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Rockranger

Atmospheric Carbon and our weather.

Post by Rockranger »

Scientists Are Coming Up With 'Last Ditch' Remedies for Climate Change

Richard Branson, the billionaire chairman of Virgin Group Ltd., has offered a $25 million prize for the best solution in the field known as geoengineering.

Smart Stones:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... e-remedies

Smart Stones, based in the Netherlands, is working with olivine, a yellow-green mineral found abundantly in the earth’s crust. Once a favorite of Egyptian jewelery makers, olivine absorbs CO2 as it weathers. The idea is to mine olivine, crush it and scatter it over land.

A ton of olivine can capture about a ton of CO2. Cost estimates range from 3 pounds to 41 pounds ($4.60 to $63) a ton. “I could make sure that every year as much CO2 is absorbed by this method as is emitted by humans,” he said.
Rockranger

Re: Atmospheric Carbon and our weather.

Post by Rockranger »

FORGET APRIL SHOWERS, THIS MAY WAS WETTEST IN US RECORDS

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 8-12-21-53
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yup! We were cooler than average, and rainy for weeks at a time, and it only just came to an end with less chance of showers, but still scattered. I saw a ticker go by on the news that said Louisiana is drowning, with many homes flooded with quite a few feet of water, and some completely under water. :shock: It's hard to look at when you know someone's whole life and everything they treasure is gone, with little, if anything, salvageable, and they said the flooding could continue into July. :(

Even the counties to the west of us had problems, and the river was just reopened to traffic today. At least we're near the top of the mountain and aren't really affected, but the creek has been running fast for quite a while now, and it looks great to see it so big when I look out from my front porch because we've been in drought conditions for so many years, so I'm grateful that this particular area got just the right amount of rain, and everything looks gorgeous this year.

Now if I could just keep the deer from eating my plants, I'd be really happy. They ate the tops off every one of my lilies just before they were going to bloom, and I think a rabbit found my asparagus because when I went out yesterday the tops were eaten off all but 2 stalks, and I've never had anything bother the asparagus before so now I have to figure out a way to keep them out of that step of the garden. :o

I even fenced the bottom step with the elderberry bushes this year because every year the deer have eaten them bare and left me with no berries. I planted them over 5 years ago, and have yet to see a berry, so this year I fenced them, and put a row cover over the top so the deer can't see them, and they still stick their heads over the fence and under the cover to nibble what they can reach. I have come to the conclusion that gardening in the forest isn't such a good idea if you don't sit out there like Elmer Fudd with a blunderbuss to get wid of doze pesky wabbits and deer. Image :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Testing .gif file uploads...MMm....chemtrails :)
chemtrails.gif
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

Were so dry and hot, my front lawn looks like all of california does and it faces North. :o plus it's so early this year, usually in aug it goes that way. :lol: .
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Now that's weird! Aren't you usually still seeing snow in the mountains, and it's kind of chilly weather at this time of year? Maybe not for you, but chilly for me. :lol:

Maybe you'll have a longer growing season this year and be able to take advantage of it. :)
PinkDiamond

Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

Thought so to. Problem right now its way to dry. My plants cant make it day to day without being watered by hand.
Snow pack was gone in may. ;)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Gosh, I hope California's weather doesn't make its way to your area. That's not good when Texas lawns are green, and Canadian lawns are all dried up. :shock:
PinkDiamond

GringaGems

Post by GringaGems »

Hi! This is my first post. About the weather. The only thing I spend more time on than gemology would be climate research and communications. While I was living in Brazil, with a lot of time on my hands, I started a blog on this in 2007, and now it has over 8,000 articles, so it is sort of a database. You can find most subjects related to climate there.

It's called "Climate Change: The Next Generation":

http://climatechangepsychology.blogspot.com
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Welcome to the forum GringaGems and than ks for posting that great info!
Chris :)