The Oldest Jeweler in the World

Trade news

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

The Oldest Jeweler in the World

Post by PinkDiamond »

This is amazing! A jeweler who has passed on his business for 14 generations!!! That's unheard of today, but this French jeweler certainly has withstood the test of time. :!:

A Visit to Mellerio dits Meller, the Oldest Jeweler in the World
A tour through the archives at the 403-year-old, 14th-generation family-owned French maison
Melissa Bernardo | February 8, 2016

"On my last day in Paris, after a whirlwind trip to the Who’s Next, Première Classe, Salon International de la Lingerie, Bijorhca, and Maison & Objet shows (whew!), I had the chance to see some gorgeous high jewelry creations at two very distinctive houses: Lydia Courteille (read more about her new collection here) and Mellerio dits Meller.

I’m ashamed to say that prior to my visit I’d never heard of Mellerio, which dates from 1613. (Shame on me!) Nestled on the Rue de la Paix—aka the most expensive street in French Monopoly—right next door to the much larger (and much younger) Cartier, Mellerio proudly claims the title of oldest jeweler in the world. The family came to France from the Valle Vigezzo in northern Italy in the early 16th century, and as jewelers has been serving French and European royalty since Marie de’ Medici granted the family royal protection during her reign. The company is still entirely family owned and operated; it’s now in its 14th generation.

We were treated to a guided tour through the atelier courtesy of Olivier Mellerio, director of the Mellerio Foundation; president of Promosalons, a global network dedicated to promoting French trade shows (and, full disclosure, the sponsor of my trip); and a member of Comité Colbert, a collective of 81 storied French luxury brands—including his family’s company, plus such other high jewelers as Boucheron, Cartier, Lorenz Bäumer, and Van Cleef & Arpels—whose mission is to support French art, craftsmanship, and creativity both at home and abroad. An affable, gracious gentleman who was more than happy to open the proverbial vault to a group of curious international journalists, Mellerio also accompanied us on a few outings throughout the day—including our trip out to the Hermès workshop in Pantin (where we stood mere inches from workers hand-sewing Birkin and Kelly bags!).

Mellerio’s jewels are spectacular (as you can see!), and it was wonderfully heartening to hear someone speak with such pride about his centuries-old family business. Fourteen generations! Now that’s something to aim for. ..."

Pics and sublinks in full story here:
http://www.jckonline.com/2016/02/04/vis ... -306540353
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
rhodolite5

Re: The Oldest Jeweler in the World

Post by rhodolite5 »

Hey Pink,

That dear heart is some high dollar Turquoise !!!!! By the way, there are people in Europe screaming for Turquoise and it seems that nobody can supply the demand! INTERESTING
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

ya, but, are they screaming enough to pay VAT? lol Anyone know what that piece is in the article?
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

No kidding, KJ. VAT is keeping a lot of people from buying, and I wish they had information on the piece, but I couldn't find it in the article either. It looks like a diadem to me and I would love to know if it's a relatively new piece, or one of their more historical pieces. Either way, it's stunning and IMHO was the best piece shown in the article. I'd wear it in a heartbeat, and claim I was royalty to boot because I'd feel like it wearing a crown. :lol:
PinkDiamond

Lydia

Post by Lydia »

Top: Mellerio’s turquoise and diamond transformable tiara, circa 1860
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

TY! So yup. A crown. Kinda. :D It really is gorgeous! I wish tiaras were more accepted in normal fashion. I just love them.
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Me too, KJ, but I think it's every little girl's dream to wear one. It's just that some of us never outgrow it; especially if we grow up to be gemophiles. :lol:

Thanks for finding that Lydia. I had a feeling it was vintage, but I had no idea it was THAT vintage. Now I think it's even cooler than I did before! :D
PinkDiamond