Blizzard warning in effect

What's going on out there?

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

opalcreations

Blizzard warning in effect

Post by opalcreations »

Well, looks like I will have time to spend inside doing my work, it is pretty nasty outside right now
It only just started, but it's gonna be a nasty blizzard here today and over night into tomorrow.

Issued: 11:00 AM AST Monday 8 February 2016

Blizzard warning in effect.

Detailed Forecast
Today Cloudy. Snow at times heavy and blowing snow beginning near noon. Amount 20 cm. Wind northeast 60 km/h gusting to 80. High minus 4.

Tonight Snow at times heavy and blowing snow. Amount 15 cm. Wind northeast 50 km/h gusting to 70 becoming north 30 gusting to 50 before morning. Temperature steady near minus 4.

Tue, 9 Feb Snow and local blowing snow ending near noon then cloudy. Amount 5 - 10 cm. Wind north 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming light in the afternoon. High minus 2.

Warnings

11:03 AM AST Monday 08 February 2016
Blizzard warning in effect for:

Halifax Metro and Halifax County West

Blizzard conditions with poor visibility in snow and blowing snow are expected or occurring.

A low pressure system currently northeast of Cape Hatteras will track northeastward today then pass south of Nova Scotia tonight. Snow associated with this system is now moving into southwestern Nova Scotia and will spread eastward across the province through the day. Strong northeast winds combined with the falling snow will result in widespread blowing snow and reduced visibilities. Snowfall amounts near 30 - 45 centimetres are currently expected over much of Nova Scotia. The snow will taper to flurries through the day on Tuesday.

Additionally this system will give higher than normal water levels and rough surf along the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia at the high tides tonight and again Tuesday morning.

Travel is expected to be hazardous due to reduced visibility. If visibility is reduced while driving, slow down, watch for tail lights ahead and be prepared to stop.

Blizzard warnings are issued when widespread reduced visibilities of 400 metres or less are expected for at least 4 hours.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to weatherASPC@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports to #NSStorm.
PinkDiamond

Re: Blizzard warning in effect

Post by PinkDiamond »

We had flurries blowing around earlier that kept starting and stopping, and I can still see a few strays blowing around out there in the wind, but it's too warm for it to stick and I didn't hear that we're expecting it to be much of anything. It's mostly north of us in Missouri so we lucked out again.

Hope they're wrong and you get less, Chris. At the very least I hope it warms up quickly and melts fast. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Well, I don't think they are wrong so far, it looks pretty nasty out there so far.
This is one of those times you just thank God your inside and warm, and feel bad for those who are not so fortunate.
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Prayers for safety and electric staying on!
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Thanks KJ, your prayers are much appreciated!

I kinda like it when the power goes out, makes things interesting around here, LOL
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

opalcreations wrote:I kinda like it when the power goes out, makes things interesting around here, LOL

Yeah, and you like to barbecue in blizzards. You know, that's not salt on your burger, Chris. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

What a bummer, we had spaghetti tonight, hahaha.

I didn't get to BBQ in da blizzard this time, oh well, it is supposed to run into tomorrow, maybe I'll BBQ some "buzzard" then, as my step daddy calls it, LOL
:)
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

And I was gonna complain it is too warm for Feb. 70 degrees F in the afternoons.
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Sure hope your blizzard is gone Chris. :)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Yeah, it wasn't that bad.
We have another system coming tomorrow, winter is so screwed up this year, very bizarre weather.
All of January, it was warm, swinging between -10 and +10C degrees, and not much snow at all.