Should Online Businesses Charge Tax When It's Not Required Yet?

Trade news

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Should Online Businesses Charge Tax When It's Not Required Yet?

Post by PinkDiamond »

I don't know about you, but whenever I can save money, I do it. I shop for sales, I look for companies with free shipping, and avoid the ones who charge sales tax whenever possible; and I intend to continue to do so for as long as I can. 8-)

So what made me start this thread? I was surprised to read a story today about a "fashion jewelry" company named Tacori, who's now getting tech savvy and selling online, and what surprised me is the byline in the story by Rob Bates is,
Though it doesn’t have to, the company is charging online sales tax

I'm interested in your thoughts on this, and whether you would buy your "fashion jewelry" from them, or look for a company that isn't charging you more than you need to pay at this point in time according to law. So would you buy from Tacori, or move on to another site where you could get the same or similar quality, without have to pay the sales tax? :?:

All I can say is it's a good thing they're not expecting it to really take off. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
crazy8s

Re: Should Online Businesses Charge Tax When It's Not Required Yet?

Post by crazy8s »

I'm with you, would not shop with some one who charges tax. In fact it makes me wonder where does the tax money go. :roll:
Lydia

Post by Lydia »

I'm with you as well. Why on earth would you give away hard-earned money for no reason. Probably would never buy "fashion jewelry" in any case.
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

So, according to my tax class, you are still responsible for purchases made outside of the state. A shop may choose to withhold taxes but to do so they have to have a business license with that state and report directly to them. This is why it's not required. So they instead put it upon the individual to declare their taxes due for purchases made outside of the state. (this is my non legal paraphrasing)
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt