Buyer beware!

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

m76steve

Buyer beware!

Post by m76steve »

This is a story from another site but the info is important-a person on the site, last year bought a 3.26ct mozambique ruby, certed GIA, nice stone, good cut/color & the buyer wanted to mount the stone in a setting, ring i think, but her jeweler at her location was busy with other orders, so she sends her stone to a fellow in Calif, Scott Schreiber, who had a good record with the ruby buyer in the past building ear rings to satisfaction. The long/short of the story is after several extensions by the builder Scott, the person wanting her ruby set was getting anxious about her stone & deposit. After a while all communication stopped between buyer & seller. Police were asked to investigate Scotts wellbeing & that was verified. Owner of the ruby didnt know what to think, was Scott putting her off? Was the stone broken, sold to a high bidder? What. So this so far, no contact, stone or deposit. Lawyer brought in to start retreval of stone & deposit-to this date, nothing has been done. Scott is still working other people per the site & our heroine is still out her items & the saga is on-going. Scotts site, https://www.flickr.com/people/two_claws_jewelry/ , Im posting this kind of as a warning to other people who might use him-there is a problem with his business that he is not addressing, Ive been burned before, so im a little sweet on a subject as this. The buyer of the stone apparently paid a good amount for the ruby & her deposit is almost considered a goner. As someone who uses many 'professionals' in what i do, its hard to cover all the bases-in this case, i would try to keep my jewelery as close to home as possible when service is needed-stevie... :evil: :evil: :roll: 8-)
PinkDiamond

Re: Buyer beware!

Post by PinkDiamond »

... and feel my first obligation is to my craft and not the client.

Thanks for the heads up m76. He says right there is first obligation isn't to the client, and after hearing that apparently his first obligation is to his bank account, and not the client. :x

I hope she sues him, so please keep us posted on how this unfolds. It's lowlifes like him that leave a bad taste in people's mouths for those in the industry. :evil:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

Odd, most of the comments on his "website" are from 2-4 years ago... I'll reserve my own personal judgments till I know more, but I don't see that as an active site and maybe the person should of thought to stick to someone local?
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
m76steve

Post by m76steve »

This is an update about the ruby-it has been returned to the owner, she thinks it is the same stone, now she has to be after the deposit-this is an ongoing drama for a little over a year. My bottom line is I would never send a stone especially one so rare & costly, to someone out of state, with no backup to insure ur property! When that stone left her control, she became a 'babe in the woods, open to almost any problem with the other party', for a job as this is,she should stay local with someone she is comfy with or has business in the past. A lot of these stones are rare & costly to replace. Ive read too many stories as this with bad endings- :( :( :roll: 8-)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Well it sure took him long enough! I'm glad she got her stone back, and hope it is the same stone, but the deposit may be another matter so keep us posted on what he does. :?
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)