2015 is done Fraser Agate update

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

KKHK

2015 is done Fraser Agate update

Post by KKHK »

After a hectic couple of weeks, and the last Shopping-mall Santa-jobs done (pic actually from the last job)

Its time to ring out the year quietly with family and a couple more final projects before 2015 is done.

Filigree Agate, or there might be some other name that has recently turned up/been mentioned.

Chips, fractures, undercuts, etc., a pain to work if not stabilized, but such a wonderful stone to look at when winter is the theme.

The chosen shape is one of my favorites as it reminds me of home. Its shape is that of a Marterl (as we call it in our region) Marterls are a common sight around German and Italian speaking regions. I'm not sure if they exist outside those two regions. They are usually found in commemoration of someone who has left this life to early and/or as warning about dangers ahead. Most hiking trail-heads in my region of Austria have them. So basically, its warning as well as an invitation for prayer before starting on your adventure.

The following pics are of one and the same piece of cab, yet every turn gives you a different view and design.
FRONT
BACK
And showing the polish as well as chips and undercut

Now, I need to find someone who can complete my vision. Got two elements already ready, just needs to be combined and elaborated.
I hope to be able to talk a local gold/silversmith from my hometown into doing it, to have at least part done by someone who is surrounded by those Marterls every day. If not, will have to find someone else.

Now to close out the year, there is one more thing in progress. My worst nightmare. A head.
Fraser Agate Pebble, about half way through the cutting.
Wanted a wild man, yet it turns into a rather kind face! Never get what I want, it seems.

Happy save holidays, and thanks for looking, Kurt
Last edited by KKHK on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PinkDiamond

Re: Saving best for last

Post by PinkDiamond »

The Marterl is beautiful, and I sure hope you can find someone to attach the cross for you. Fabulous piece! And I love the old man's face even though it didn't come out looking like you envisioned. Can't wait to see them both completed. :)

That said, your Santa pic is my favorite pic this time. Kudos, Kurt!!! :D
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Thanks Pink.
Yhea, my family is used to me not being around at such holidays. Before it was hospitality, then tourism and now the Santa Jobs.
Its not only the money (US$150-170 per hour) which is fabulous pocket-money without a question, and will pay for the dragonfly (long overdue) and fixing up the Marterl; but more than anything, being surrounded by smiling faces for days. And having some of the kids (and adults) come up running shrieking and smiling in excitement, is something a lot of us would pay for to experience on a regular basis.

By the end of the day, I love playing Santa, even if the money would not be that good, as I seem to get a lot of positive energy out of it. Its extremely tiring once its over. Only then, you can literally feel, that something is missing. I suppose, that is why so many performers are on drugs, but nothing can ever replace the energy gotten freely from people around you.

For those of you not familiar with the concept: Its the strength/energy you feel being around people you love unconditionally (like a new love). Long lasting relationships are based on it too, but we tend to balance each-other out, so you don't really feel the excess as you are unconsciously holding back reserves. Or, to me its also the energy that my dogs give me with their attention.
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

8-) 8-) 8-) :D
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

Very cool 8-) I like your ideas
how you want to 'connect' the cross ? soldering can be difficult .. although it might be possible
also if you make it this way the cross will hold the stone and you don't need hinten back all the way down
or 2nd idea :idea: you could make similar V-shape 'frame' but smaller on the bottom and this should be enough to hold the stone & simply glue the cross
greets :geek:

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

OpalSupreme wrote:Very cool 8-) I like your ideas
how you want to 'connect' the cross ? soldering can be difficult .. although it might be possible
also if you make it this way the cross will hold the stone and you don't need hinten back all the way down
or 2nd idea :idea: you could make similar V-shape 'frame' but smaller on the bottom and this should be enough to hold the stone & simply glue the cross
greets :geek:

I plan to drill a hole which will connect the cross to the back. The bail of the cross comes off (its just one of the pieces floating around the house and no-one wears at the moment). That way, no epoxy will be needed.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

That is so cool that you get the whole Santa experience, and get paid amazingly well for it, but quite frankly, it should be that way because it's not easy being a mall Santa. You amaze me so often that I may have to dub you the most balanced, giving, and dedicated man to what's important in life that I know, Kurt. :D

I agree that a bar going thru the stone with a wider piece of gold on the back like a rivet to hold it securely is the best way to go since adhesives aren't always trustworthy. It's going to be a pendant, right? I'm just curious as to its size, and I think it's going to be an amazing piece when you finish it. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Wow, that cross carving is really kewl Kurt!
Being a Christian, i have a real appreciation for Christian art :)
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

Kurt, you make me want to be better. Just an honest compliment for you. That is free energy from me to you!

I love the concept for your marterl design. Especially since you have measurments given and the layout marked. I totally see what thou mean by having the back and sides done and the cross connected to them through the hole. I hope you find a willing local craftsman to finish that piece as it will be wonderful. I also enjoyed how you decided to repurpose the crucifix with this design. I look forward to seeing it completed.
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

You need to tow me on a chain to church or services of the kind, but I think I'm awake, and in my own way, I thank God for the blessings of every new day.

You guys make me blush, just reading some of the comments. I still have a long way to go to justify some of the attributes given.

I think, it becomes more important on a personal level, to keep traditions and convictions alive, as the world gets overrun by people who do not have the wish to assimilate to new localities (recent refugee problems are just the latest wave of that). I have lived most of my life thus far, among cultures radically different to my own, and have had no problem integrating while keeping my own ideas not only intact, but even strengthen them by experiencing and learning from people I meet along the way.

As age advances, fundamental ideas (long largely neglected) that I have grown up with, become more important, and I had the blessing of returning to my roots for a couple of weeks this year, with my trip home. That brought back not only a lot of memories, but also new understanding as to how to integrate and utilize experiences past (spiritual and otherwise).