What did you get for Christmas??

Anything goes!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Brightlights

Re: What did you get for Christmas??

Post by Brightlights »

SwordfishMining wrote:My family just gets opals or the art I trade them for to opalholic artists of stuff I like that also have no money.

I think barter should be acceptable to all art folks... I'm always open to it.

This was our redneck smoker:

(Tim closing it up after loading the meats)
1227151257c.jpg

(getting the meat for a late dinner. Chicken, ribs, veal/brisket, etc...)
1227151957b-1.jpg
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Oh my, they're beautiful, and that's impressive seeing them stacked up. He's a pretty talented guy, and that smoker is really something. I'm definitely never seen one like that before. Thanks so much for showing them to us! :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I'm very envious :)
Been wanting a smoker for some time now!
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Buy your wife a pack of cigarettes? :lol:
PinkDiamond

crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Oh Pink that was really bad :!: :lol: :lol: Bl those bowls are beautiful Just in case mineral oil goes a long way.
jim

Post by jim »

I got the new Steven King book. It's a collection of short stories. Some are rewrites of older obscure works and some are new. I've already waded through the first half. As always I consume then regret doing it so fast. I have been known to read a whole novel in a weekend...really pisses the wife off when I do.. nothing gets done. Bazaar of bad dreams is the name of it if anyone is interested.
I can tell that some of the stories are much older. One can see his style and creativity developing. The tower series started in the early 70's so he has been a master story teller for a long time. Even in that story...not finished until after 2000 ...his development was ongoing. The last addition to the story...The wind through the keyhole...that was an addition to the very middle of the series one can see the, not so much improvement but development of his writing skills. After reading so much of his work it's almost a let down to read his older works simply because I expect so much of him now...Is that wrong??? I must say in his defense that every work that I have read I finished.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I loved everything Steven King wrote through the 80's when I stopped reading fiction, so I haven't read anything of his for decades and can't comment on the evolution of his writing, but he was so engrossing I also sailed thru his books so fast it made me sorry when the end came so soon, so I can relate. :lol:

Of course I loved Interview with the Vampire, but The Shining probably left me the most disturbed after having lived in the 30 room Georgian mansion in Virginia that was haunted in the 70's. :o

And 8's, we haven't heard anything about what you got for Christmas so fess up because I know you didn't get coal! You have to tell us because inquiring minds want to know. :?: :?: :?:
PinkDiamond

Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

PinkDiamond wrote:Of course I loved Interview with the Vampire, but The Shining probably left me the most disturbed after having lived in the 30 room Georgian mansion in Virginia that was haunted in the 70's. :o

Interview with a vampire was Ann Rice... I devoured the whole series once I found them in college. I loved that series. (And her other books) I've avoided all the new vampire books and tv shows that were focused around the teen scene... Just can bring myself to desecrate the images that Ann Rice worked so hard to plant in my imagination.

I liked the shining, but I try not to let my imagination take over in the real world. I grew up with a large farmhouse that was over 100 years old. Luckily, it only had happy memories for the families that have occupied it over time.
Positive energy from positive folks!

Also Pink, that sounds like good news that your mansion was only haunted for 10 years! :lol:
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Actually, it had a sordid reputation long before we moved in, and the original owner who built it was the first one and his body was never found, so it's apparently been haunted since shortly after it was built in the late 1800's.

The story goes that he built it for his wife who hated it and moved into the mansion next door at Shadwell, so he stayed there alone until he went missing. There were plenty of others involved who died either there, or because of the place, including the guy we were renting the house from who ran the championship golf course put on the property when it became a country club, which is what we were running it as.

Its reputation for being haunted was well known among the locals, which gave my sadistic ex great opportunities to use the very narrow servants staircase to scare the pants off friends who visited and bragged that they weren't afraid to walk around the upper floors or basement all alone. :lol:

And you're of course right about Interview, which just shows I've been away from those books for so long I'm forgetting who wrote what, but I thought it was hilarious that right after I posted that I looked at the TV lineup to find something to watch, and The Shining was the only thing on that was worthwhile. LOL!

Oh, and I almost forgot - the Pallasite arrived yesterday and it is GORGEOUS! It's so sparkly and a nice shade of green, and it's bigger than the ones I was looking at in The Meteorite Man's store in Eureka Springs that cost more. I know for a fact it's got better color than any I've seen there, and it's perfectly clean, and I can't wait to show Steve the Meteorite Man my cosmic score and the cert that came with it next time we got there. :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond

crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

For Christmas I ordered some settings, 3 pendant and a ring that was just too pretty. David said great that's your Christmas. :lol: But we ate very well Christmas day. I bought him a bottle of single malt scotch. What do I need really not much. Soon I will get photos of my new pendants and the ring. The stones are a dark pink garnet, kyanite and an amethyst. Love it the kyanite is mistaken for a sapphire. :lol: