Paraiba mines close...

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Re: Paraiba mines close...

Post by PinkDiamond »

I would think you'd have to take it to Sotheby's or the like for one that size.
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
m76steve

Post by m76steve »

This is additional updated info about the brazilian paraiba mines, Paul, one of my appraisers is telling me the mines have been sold to a German company, this info from a NY source who buys gemstones world over, he is interested in the rubies I recently bought but I only have the 2 & not really into a sale at this time. To me it seems if the mines have been sold to a new company, there must be a source of additional tourmaline there for the taking. This story is similar to Burma, with a chinese company buying mines in Burma to mine for ruby. The Russians are sitting on many cts. of alexandrite & diamonds, lots of diamonds that could shake up the diamond industry to the hilt. I was thrown off a web site several years ago because I posted that russian alex is still being produced but in lower quantities because the russian govt is closely watching what is mined from these locations & they want tighter control of these assets. The reports that the mines are depleated is possibility another story. Im dealing with people in the business of gemstones & where, when, & how much this material is costing & if possible how easy it is to get material, if at all. I guess this info just adds to the mix of what is happening in the gem world. I will look into the mines in brazil to see if the story has any clout. Paul did tell me the ideal paraiba color is still the blue windex color, with the price per ct easily getting near the $75,000.00/ct range for larger stones. I still enjoy doing the ebay schuffle & am always looking for a rare find once in a while, all from the PC, so far Im doing ok & still just a hobby for me-stevie... :shock: 8-)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

:)
here is brazilian report from 2013 - it's not in english but still cool -- the mines shafts there are crazy
and the 2nd video is new report from 26/10/2015 about the illegal digging and there are few scenes where they show some of the stuff police have confiscated :o nice material

you right about the Rassian alex
the gem sources will never end as long somebody will dig :) but the rassian alex is super hard to find and buy

great documantary about Ural emeralds and alex

:geek:

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I really wish I had time to watch them all, but I did manage to watch the last 2 shorter ones, and they're fantastic! That's wild that they were mining for beryllium ore, and the gemstones were a byproduct they had no need of and considered trash. And those flower petals that guy in the last one carved and made into flowers are simply outstanding, and the array of gems there blew my mind. Awesome finds and I'm looking forward to being able to sit and watch the other 2. Thanks OS!! :D
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

;)
yes in the communist era they have wasted a lot of good stuff :oops: :(
btw. the russian professor in the last video is the best :D

greets

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<