What Were The Gemstones Of The Breastplate of Aaron?

Post your mystery gemstones here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I've had discussions about this very subject with members on occasion so I thought y'all might enjoy this one from the Gem Society. Click the link for the answers. ;)

Although jacinth or hyacinth is named as one of the gemstones of the breastplate of Aaron, its gemological identity is uncertain. In modern gemological terms, hyacinth refers to an orange-red to brown-red variety of zircon. However, in biblical times, hyacinth may have referred to a blue gemstone, such as sapphire or perhaps lapis lazuli. “Zircon Octahedral Crystal” by candiru is licensed under CC By 2.0

"Question

I’d love to have some feedback on the identity of the gemstones of the breastplate of Aaron. In Exodus 28:15-21, the breastplate of Aaron is described in great detail. In the Tanakh, the Hebrew Bible, a different gemstone is listed for each of the twelve tribes of Israel. They are, in the 1st row, carnelian, chrysolite, and emerald; in the 2nd row, turquoise, sapphire, and amethyst; in the 3rd row, jacinth, agate, and crystal; in the 4th row, beryl, lapis lazuli, and jasper.

I figure that chrysolite is chrysoberyl, the crystal is clear quartz, and the beryl is probably aquamarine. These gems were familiar to people in this region at that time.

In the King James Version, however, different gems are listed. I would like to know what other International Gem Society (IGS) members think the gems of the breastplate of Aaron might have been. ..."

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/what ... -of-aaron/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Re: What Were The Gemstones Of The Breastplate of Aaron?

Post by opalcreations »

I actually did alot of research into this at one time, and thought it would be really kewl to build an Ephod.

Then I realized, I don't need that thing to talk to God...LOL

:)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

:) true

it's interesting that from the earliest time gemstones were very special and important for people

I think it's impossible to find out which gems they were using in ancient times because the names were different and the translations is not correct :roll:
in my opinion it has a lot to do with geometry since all this comes from Hebrew tradition and Kabbalah .. because gemstones (crystals) are type of model which show how the universe is build ... and in fact there is also description in Revelation which talk about Walls in Heaven and the Throne made out of different gems :roll:

thanks Pink for posting
:geek:

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

There's no doubt in my mind that gemstones possess properties that we do not fully understand yet, because obviously, we do not yet understand fully the reality that we live in, or the subtle energies that exist in our universe.

Having said that, I'm not fully convinced that a gemstone in and of itself can heal an illness, although I do think it's possible that a gemstone could effect someone's energy field that in turn could effect their health, either negatively or positively.

There's so much we just don't understand yet, and in some ways, I think the ancients understood much more that we do, even with all of our so called modern technology.

It is measurable that gemstones vibrate at different frequencies, notably quartz and tourmaline have some pretty interesting electrical properties that can be measured.

Apparently, touching the gemstones on the Ephod in certain sequences were like dialing up God on the phone...lol. The gemstones would glow when touched.

I personally would really like to see that happen!
Chris :)
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

oh man, I would love a gemstone that glowed when it was touched! But... one would probably need a Geiger counter or something too.
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

our modern technology is also based on 'crystals' and different metals like gold , platinum etc .. so indeed there is something about these 'elements' :roll:
as they say : there is nothing new under the sun
btw. gold and silver is also interesting because not everybody knows that there is natural alloy of gold and silver called electrum (this is ancient name)
*amber was also called electrum because of its electrical properties ..
some of the first earliest coins from ancient Greece were made from electrum , in ancient Egypt many 'things' were made from electrum and even the missing capstone was made from it > at this time everybody knew about electrum but why we don't learn about this now :roll:
:geek: :idea:

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

There's electrum nuggets just laying around if you can find them here in Nevada. The thing I thought of was Are they touching the stones while anointed with holy oils which would revive the polishes and make them glow when touched. Later not being "touched" go back to what dust on oil looks like between wipings or taken out in the sun from inside. I am a semantics person and there is usually an explanation around things being translated. Spooky action at a distance being one of them. AKA miracles, magic, you had to be there so you can try and explain it yourself, occurrences I'm not contesting.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Spooky action at a distance has always intrigued me.
I read alot about that in my earlier years :)

Just think, somewhere, in the universe, there is another twin to every particle in our bodies and surrounding, bound by who knows what. Very interesting indeed.
Chris :)
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

Another me? That is spooky! :o
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

Aztec blue jade or jade in general... [ok, not Aztec blue]
its very tough and has been used for weaponry as well as other uses

nothing else would even begin to withstand much in the way of striking
though if woven into a wisby type coat might get more out of it than if it was some breastplate of sorts.

WISBY

To quote rosanrosanadana "He looks like a real happy guy!"