Old Friends, the story from start to end

Post all non-opal carvings and creations here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

KKHK

Old Friends, the story from start to end

Post by KKHK »

OK here we go from beginning to end for those of you who do not partake on FB. Final result also caused change of title for the piece.

It all started a bit over two years ago, with a Montana heel, that had a line of dendrites running through milky but otherwise clean chalcedony.

Step one, pretty much exactly 2 years ago (Oct. 2013), entered this in the cab-contest and for it ground down the back to stable material, and polished both sides.

After that put it away again, but by now had an idea as to how to preserve the dendrites in front in form of a staff.

By now, I envisioned to use the inclusions at the back as a sort of dragon-wing that swings forwards at the bottom of the piece and having a person standing on the inside of the wing holding the staff.
Acted on that fairly quickly, but it would be another 6 months before I somehow could get the nerve to try to outline the person.
Did not like it, so I put it away again. Until earlier this year as I got the drive to try out some dragons. That started the dragon face, but not much more.
5 months on in September, I finally got the vision to deepen the legs and wing-tips as well as to do a basic back.
Followed by digging out a tail-end for the dragon.
Was tinkering with it all month long, still hesitating because I could not envision the torso and head.
But eventually there was nothing more to do so I had to try a head and the final arm leading to the dragons mouth.
The head turned out situated much lower than expected and without hair. Looks ok as long as you don't magnify. The proportions fit, but I'm not sure if I would try to refine it, if I would not mess it up.

So finally I'm ready to call it done (for now)
Best daylight-pics thus far

And Indoors plus back-lit

Ohh yeah, drilled a second hole under the dragons neck to utilize solid material to string the cord (not trusting the stability of the wing-tips)

Never had so many uncertainties in the past few years, does not look like what I originally envisioned at all, but still proud to wear it. yippie24

Thanks for looking, Kurt
PinkDiamond

Re: Old Friends, the story from start to end

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wow Kurt, what a process that one turned out to be, and the end result, although not what you initially envisioned, is simply marvelous. Wear it in good health. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

That's an absolutely beautiful carving.

There's no better feeling that when a creation is complete, and you can then sit back, and admire it's beauty.
Chris :)
Lydia

Post by Lydia »

Thank you for sharing both the photos and your thought process along the way. I think it turned out wonderfully.