Fab Fossils

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Re: Fab Fossils

Post by PinkDiamond »

Some great specimens y'all have in your collections, and that last one is way cool. 2 thumbs up. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Pink, it's just a bunch of broken shells cemented together by nature. It's value to me is in who gave it to me, and the story / history behind it.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

LOL! Yes, of course it is, it's the story and the rarity of it. I don't know anyone else with a piece of it and have never seen any on the market that I can recall. :lol:
PinkDiamond

jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Shhhhh !! Maybe that's because it was / is illegal to remove any material from a government installation. My friend is digging in that big rock pile in the sky now, so big brother can't take his birthday away, or imprison him.
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

I received a box of fossils today that were collected on Pink's property. I don't think she knew that one was something really special. It's a segment of crinoid stem, and what makes it special is that it's a negative cast in limestone. The crinoid stem has dissolved away leaving the outer shape of the stem. But what really makes it special is that the small hole that runs through the center of a crinoid stem has also been replaced with limestone.

Lydia

Post by Lydia »

I would have thought it was a pretty pink rock with an odd indented piece. Guess Pink sent it to the right person.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I have only found 2 like that in over 16 years, and since jake spends his days popping in and out of the chat room amusing me no end, I couldn't think of anyone better to share one with; especially since he sent me that lovely Fairburn agate specimen, and the adorable little towel dress his wife made. I told him I had to return his box to him, so since it cost a flat rate I stuffed it full of rocks. :lol:
PinkDiamond

jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

I was just going over old posts & found something. This one's for Pink. Girl, on page 1, your 6th pic down, that's an ancient stingray dermal spine. Commonly called a stingray scute. In perfect shape it would have had a tooth like spine sticking out of the center. But in real life they are usually missing.

Here's a pic of one of mine.

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wow! I knew it was something cool, and that it was rare since I only have that one, but I had no idea that's what it was. Way cool, thanks! :)
PinkDiamond

Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

I've seen those scutes? before. Always thought it was just a natural formation in rock. Next time i see another I'll pic it up, bring it home to show ya.