Fixing your dog can break it.

Discussion and pictures of your favorite critters!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SwordfishMining

Fixing your dog can break it.

Post by SwordfishMining »

Ran across a good article with newer information than i had at the time. Gemmas, never going to be a mother, like all the other ones i could not control if they were not fixed, i mean they FOUND away out. https://www.doglistener.co.uk/neutering_definitive
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Re: Fixing your dog can break it.

Post by PinkDiamond »

Boy, that really is an in depth article, and he's absolutely right. Morgan lived to be almost 14 years old, and was never spayed, and when I picked up Shiloh, the breeder had a spaying requirement by 6 months old in the contract and I told her she needed to cross that out, because I don't spay or neuter my pets unless it's absolutely necessary, and I explained why using the very same arguments he does in the article, and she agreed and crossed it out and initialed it.

It was written into the contract when I bought Taz, too, but I just never did it until I saw behavioral problems when he was nearly 10 years old, so although he was finally neutered, it was in his later years, and certainly not too early, and at his age it did not alter his personality, but did cure the behavioral problem.

Good article, John, thanks for posting it. I hope those with pets take the info into consideration, because this is actually nothing new, and has been known about for decades. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Don't know about behaviour problems, but our Lilo (a stray that wandered into the house 18 years ago), never had any health problems at all.
That is until we had to haver her spayed. To many dogs around the village, and no way to give away the pups anymore.
As soon as the procedure was over and done with, health problems turned up. From lumps, to ulcers, to blindness the list was endless.
She eventually passed last July beeing about 17 years old (she was 16 years with us), releasing her from her torment.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm so sorry to hear she had so many problems by the time you lost her, Kurt. It's always sad when we lose a pet, especially after so many years with them. :(
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

She lives on in her last two pups that are with us..........