Trade Alert on Zultanite

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Trade Alert on Zultanite

Post by PinkDiamond »

I was given permission to post this article in its entirety.

TRADE ALERT: Don’t Buy Zultanite From Its Country Of Origin

ZULTGEMS, authorized Zultanite distributor, in response to the prevalence of simulants being sold as genuine advises against purchasing Zultanite in Turkey, the sole origin for this natural color changing gemstone. ZULTGEMS’ use of designer collaborations, popular shopping destinations, retail partners, home shopping networks, media and red carpet placements have been hugely successful in raising the profile of Zultanite, one of the world’s rarest and most beautiful gemstones.

Last month a honeymooning American couple visits a jewelry store in the popular tourist destination of Kusadasi, Turkey. The salesman tells them about a new Turkish gemstone called ‘Zultanite’ and once they see the color change, they’re hooked and purchase a three carat ring for around USD5,000. The only problem… they actually bought synthetic color change glass with a retail value of just a few dollars per carat. The scam became apparent when the couple attended a cruise ship jewelry event by Provenance Gems, a Chicago based jeweler and an official retailer of genuine Zultanite. Provenance Gems Sales Manager, Dominick R. Barranca, explained, “They were really surprised when they saw real Zultanite and wondered why the gem they purchased looked so different. They thought they had the real thing and were not happy when the dupe was revealed. She was upset and obviously, so was her husband – this experience clearly tarnished their honeymoon.”

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incidence. “It’s definitely caveat emptor for those thinking of buying Zultanite from Turkish jewelers. I discover about two scams every month and ZULTGEMS receives emails from concerned individuals almost every week”, said Barranca, continuing, “Honestly, it breaks my heart. It is tough telling someone they’ve been deceived, especially when their first experience with Zultanite is a fake. They think they’re getting a bargain, but they’re actually being duped into buying a cheap synthetic.” Provenance Gems Director, Marek Chmiel echoes these concerns, “Over the last few years I have seen a huge increase in color changing glass being sold as Zultanite. This is very prevalent in the tourist shops of Istanbul and fake Zultanite has exploded in Kusadasi – they offer the imitation as genuine Zultanite the very first second one enters their shop. The shame is that it is very easy to tell apart from Zultanite; genuine Zultanite displays natural tranquil colors whereas the fakes have harsh neon hues. I have seen fakes on sale from USD300 to many thousands.”

A synthetic color change glass manufactured in India, Alexite is the trade name of this simulant. The color change effect has been induced by the addition of vanadium, chromium, manganese and iron in varying quantities to produce different colors. There is also another synthetic glass, Zandrite, developed by a major glass manufacturer to mimic Alexandrite, which could also simulate Zultanite to the untrained eye. This glass’s color change is affected by the addition of neodymium.

While identifying real Zultanite is actually straightforward, the easiest way to be assured a Zultanite is genuine, is if it comes with a Zultanite Authenticity Guarantee. Mr. Chmiel, added, “This plastic card with an embedded hologram verifies each genuine Zultanite to be of entirely natural origin, ethically mined with environmentally safe techniques and never enhanced; every Zultanite we sell comes with this guarantee and consumers love the peace of mind it provides – if a Zultanite doesn’t come with this card then it may not be real.”

ZULTGEMS Managing Director, Darren Lockie is faced with the highly unusual situation of having to recommend against purchasing Zultanite from its country of origin. “Counterfeiting gemstones is a problem old as the gemstone industry and unfortunately, Zultanite is not exempt. Manufactured color change glass is being deceptively sold as Zultanite by some unethical Turkish jewelers who target tourists. Some are even accompanied by fabricated laboratory documentation certifying them as genuine. While there are undoubtedly reputable Turkish jewelers, there are simply too many fakes in this marketplace”, said Lockie, continuing, “This problem is not just restricted to people unaware of the gemstone. A wealthy couple purchased fake Zultanite at a jewelry store in Istanbul after learning about Zultanite during a Provenance Gems presentation – they thought they could get a better deal, but ended up paying USD4,500 for glass. We’ve even had several instances of trade members being scammed by Turkish dealers.”

Mr. Lockie also stressed that Zultanite is not actually cut in Turkey, “Zultanite tests the skills of even the most experienced lapidaries. It has to be orientated to accentuate the color change and prevent cleavage damage during polishing – it’s very low yield (2 percent) also frustrates cutters. Turkey doesn’t have these skill sets commercially, which is why Zultanite is faceted in Brazil, Canada and India. ZULTGEMS is your guarantee that each gem is cut by some of the world’s most experienced lapidaries to optimal proportions.” Beautiful, ethical, natural and rare, Zultanite’s beguiling color palette, combined with an exotic pedigree, has made it a favorite among jewelry aficionados around the globe. As a natural gemstone, Zultanite has an intrinsic value based on its genuine rarity. Gemologist Jeffery Berman has evaluated the imitation material and believes it will continue to cause problems for consumers. “When I first examined imitation Zultanite, my immediate impression was it is just too good to be true. The color change is way beyond what one would expect in natural Zultanite. Gemological investigation revealed the material to be nothing more than glass doped with rare earth elements – a few dollars retail per carat at the most”, said Bergman. An American gemstone professional with 40 years of experience in the mining, cutting, wholesaling and retailing of gemstones, Mr. Bergman has operated his own research facility in Bangkok since 1990. Mr. Bergman has been featured in many gem and jewelry periodicals including Gems & Gemology, JewelSiam, AsiaWeek, JNA, JCK and many other publications around the world. He has also appeared in interviews on the BBC, CNN, NBC, ABC and GEO as well as guest speaking at gemological laboratory seminars, gemological association conferences and universities.

“If both materials are presented side by side it would be very easy to teach anyone how to differentiate the real thing from an imitation. Unfortunately, unscrupulous dealers are likely to get away with this fraud since news of this cheap imitation has not yet been widely disseminated”, said Bergman, continuing, “My only practical suggestion is to stick with reputable Zultanite suppliers who provide the Zultanite Authenticity Guarantee. If a client is acquiring a fine quality Zultanite they should consider independent confirmation from a recognized laboratory and only deal with vendors who offer an ironclad money-back guarantee.” While the experienced professional can immediately tell Alexite does not look like a real gemstone, Bergman added, “When viewed under a Hanneman Filter, Alexite displays unnaturally vivid bubblegum orange-pinks that are blatantly indicative of a gemstone simulant. Zultanite is also differentiated by its higher refractive index (1.70 – 1.75) and double refractivity; at 1.55, Alexite has the same refractive index as Quartz, but its relative density clearly identifies the material as manufactured glass.”

Aside from cruise ship retailers who visit Turkish ports, ZULTGEMS currently does not supply any Turkish jewelry distributors, wholesalers or retailers. “We are in talks with several companies, but trust is an issue. After all, so many Turkish jewelers have either deliberately or inadvertently sold glass in place of what many consider to be the country’s national gemstone”, said Lockie, ZULTGEMS Managing Director, continuing, “It is actually ridiculous we have to tell people not to buy Zultanite from the country it is mined – as an Australian, I could never imagine telling people not to purchase an Opal souvenir on their holiday, but at the end of the day, we not only have to protect consumers, but also the reputation of Zultanite, one of the world’s rarest and most beautiful gemstones.” Provenance Gems Sales Manager, Dominick R. Barranca, summed up his feelings stating, “We need to keep educating consumers on Zultanite and Turkish jewelers need to start selling the real deal – if these two things happen, it will be great for everyone.”

http://www.zultgems.com/2012/06/trade-a ... of-origin/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
PinkDiamond

Re: Trade Alert on Zultanite

Post by PinkDiamond »

gingerkid wrote::( Can only imagine the disappointment (and anger) the newly weds had when they found out the stone was color-changing glass. They spent a lot of money for the stone.

Read a little more on "Alexite" on the Alexite website, and was amazed at the variety of color-change the material exhibits. :shock:

Is Zultanite a trade and/or marketing name for color-change diaspore? Read that Zultanite was announced as a "new species?" :?: Say what? :? Kinda weird, remember (Think the name was trademarked?) when GemsTV trademarked "Zultanite," then went out of business?

"ICA has just added Zultanite to their Gem site and IADC has just announced Zultanite as new gem species during the Tucson show."
http://www.moregems.com/zultanite

*End of Trade Alert on Zultanite thread on old forum
PinkDiamond

m76steve

Post by m76steve »

Interesting information on Zultanite, Im afraid if the bad guys can fake it, sell it to consumers on ships or travelers, they will & with clear conscious. I always wonder when i read information on stones what i really have, for that reason i usually do several appraisals from different people i trust to tell me the glass from the good. Im pretty sure that most of the gravel i present to the forum is real but there is always a little cloud off to the side, i guess this is just human nature kicking in. Im to the point now, @ 70 yrs sucking air, u do what u can to validate what is important to one self. My zulti. has been checked 2-3 times, as a matter of fact, I asked about fakes, glass, & the like, this was easily checked with RI from the appraisers, but one must know what to ask for when material is considered or evaluated, as a hobbist, i rely on the professionals i trust & forums like this-steve... :mrgreen: 8-)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I remember back in '97 when I first started buying/selling gemstones, I bought what was sold to me as "lemon topaz", and I even sold some of it to a gemologist friend of mine. His bad, he trusted "me" instead of just doing a SG test on it, and it turned out when I tested it later myself that it was actually lemon QUARTZ. LOL
Live and learn :)
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Way back smokey quartz was called topaz also, so maybe it was a left over type name. :roll:
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yes, I had a ring that I got from a jeweler I worked for that was marked smoky topaz, but later I was told it was smoky quartz. I never recall the jeweler's gemologist or setters testing pieces that came in from his regular suppliers, so I can easily understand how that could happen now, even though he was a very reputable jeweler in Garden City on Long Island, NY. The ring was darling, being shaped like a dragon that held the oval 'smoky topaz' like an egg in its hands. It wasn't until I was trading the ring to the jeweler who made the ring I designed for the stone in my engagement ring after the divorce that I found out it was smoky quartz because he was smart enough to test it, and I must say I was very disappointed. :?

And m76, I would have tried to dissuade you from buying the stones you do if you were not doing due diligence to verify that what you buy is what it's supposed to be, so my hat's off to you for being smart enough to have professionals you turn to. Too many people go out and buy gems while ignorant, and they are suckers for the shysters who will find them every time. Like they say, there's a sucker born every minute, and there's a thief waiting to deceive them and take their wealth. The tourist traps and cruise lines have to be the worst when it comes to deception, and very few tourists go home with the gems/jewelry they thought they were buying. :roll:
PinkDiamond

OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

interesting ! thanks for posting Pink
I have some Zult's but never tested it :roll:

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

just found this video about diaspore / zultanite now called csarite :P

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

That was wonderful OS, thanks so much for posting it! I didn't know Turkish diaspore was one of those rare stones that wasn't attached to the host rock. That was so cool to see them just pluck them out, and that 'small' explosion was really something! Great video, and again, thanks for sharing. ;)
PinkDiamond

m76steve

Post by m76steve »

A good posting on the diaspore, zultanite, same same, one can appreciate how hard it is to get completed gems, the stuff is out for sale, u just have to be careful of who u buy from, then verify, im posting pics of the extreme colorchange limits from red to green, not shown is the different colors between the end colors depending on the light used to see the gem, this gem is 12+cts & a very good example of the good stuff-stevie...
diaspore candle 1.JPG
diaspore candle 1.JPG (35.16 KiB) Viewed 12352 times
diaspore flourescent 1.JPG
diaspore flourescent 1.JPG (37.8 KiB) Viewed 12352 times