Bloomingdale’s Accidentally Gifts Customer $10K Diamond Earrings, Plus Others!

Trade news

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Should Bloomingdale's have to honor the gift cards they issued or not?

Yes they should have to honor the gift cards they issued
33%
No, it was an honest mistake and people should understand
67%
I don't care because I don't shop there
No votes

Total votes: 3

PinkDiamond

Bloomingdale’s Accidentally Gifts Customer $10K Diamond Earrings, Plus Others!

Post by PinkDiamond »

This is a riot, but somebody's head is sure to roll for it. Glad it's not mine. :lol:

So should Bloomies have to honor the gift cards they issued, or are they off the hook with just an apology and a $100 gift card? :?:

Bloomingdale’s Accidentally Gifts Customer a Pair of $10,000 Diamond Earrings
By Logan Sachon, Social Media Journalist - Posted on August 19, 2015

"On Aug. 14 Bloomingdale’s erroneously issued gift cards instead of loyalty points to a subset of customers who all received emails announcing their amounts, some as high as $25,000.

The gaffe didn’t end with the email, however: The gift cards worked, and though they were reportedly canceled by noon that day, at least one customer successfully purchased thousands of dollars of diamonds and designer goods.

BuzzFeed News broke the story with an interview with one customer who mistakenly received a $25,000 gift card and used the credit in store to purchase $17,000 worth of goods, including a $10,000 pair of diamond earrings and a $5,000 watch.

The shopper, who chose to remain anonymous, told BuzzFeed that the retailer contacted him and told him he “needs to” return the merchandise, and that when he does, he will receive a $100 gift card. If he does not, he said, he will be banned from the loyalty program, the outlet reports.

Other customers reported their brief windfalls on social media—and reported canceled orders after trying to make use of the gift cards. In a post to the Bloomingdale’s Facebook page, a customer named Candace Jackson reported receiving a $10,000 gift card and using about $2,000 of it to order items online. She said she later received an email canceling her order. In her post, she said she expected the gift card to be honored: “Bloomingdales, you are a big company,” she posted. “You have many faithful customers. And one thing that most customers expect is that if you make a mistake, even one of this magnitude, that you will honor it. You notified me that I had received a big award. And I expected to be able to rely on valid communications that I receive from your company (this was obviously not spam or from a suspicious source). Especially when the offer is in your system and is honored by your system.”

In a statement provided to JCK, a Bloomingdale’s spokesperson said: “A small subset of Bloomingdale’s Loyallist participants were accidentally issued rewards gift cards with amounts that were clearly incorrect. The company caught the mistake last week and is reissuing replacement gift cards with correct amounts. The company is in contact with its customers and has apologized to those affected.” ...

Read the emails, replies, and the rest of the story here:
http://www.jckonline.com/2015/08/19/blo ... -306540353
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Lydia

Re: Bloomingdale’s Accidentally Gifts Customer $10K Diamond Earrings, Plus Others!

Post by Lydia »

The people who received those gift cards knew they were not entitled to them. Back in the day, you would have called Bloomies up and told them they made a mistake - now you try to rip them off.
kjsspot

Re: Bloomingdale’s Accidentally Gifts Customer $10K Diamond Earrings, Plus Others!

Post by kjsspot »

Agreed Lydia. Why is it ok to take advantage of someone else's mistake?
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
Rammon2013

Post by Rammon2013 »

Do a tax write off im keeping the ear rings and watch lol
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Leave it to you, Rammon. :lol:

While I agree wholeheartedly with the ladies, especially with amounts like that, I must admit that's actually a pretty good idea to let them keep them, and do a tax write off since it would have been a good PR move for them. As it is, it looks like they need to get on the stick and hire a good proofreader who knows the difference between gift cards and points, and have them proofread every email like that that goes out. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

You get what you pay for in hired help. I am sure attorneys can tell you exactly what the agreement between the company and the card holder means in this and if they are asking for them to be nice, by their own usury rules that you have to sign before you get anything, they screwed up and they should be free and clear gifts like the letter with the card said. What was cancelled was saved, but any spent was a lesson I think.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"