Viking Jewelry

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Artfldgr

Viking Jewelry

Post by Artfldgr »

Finding gold in Boeslunde, Denmark, is no huge surprise—it’s known as an area where Bronze Age gold offering are often uncovered, as curators there are explaining this month. But a recent discovery has surprised and baffled archaeologists: 2,000 tiny gold spirals. It’s a “golden enigma.”

http://gizmodo.com/archaeologists-baffled-by-2-000-tiny-gold-spirals-disco-1717507894

what exactly did they find? Thousands of tightly-wound gold wires, each about one inch long, that together made up more than half a pound of solid gold, which seems to have been buried in a wooden box lined with fur which has long since disintegrated. Fascinatingly, no one’s quite sure how these tiny wires were actually used

in this case... i would guess that they wrapped their braids in them...

their theories are often quite hoaky..
my favorite "wrong" theory was when they found a cave deep in the white cliffs, and that the cave wall was soft enough that one could scrape ones fingers and make patterns. so way way back in this cave, the archeologist claims there is some religious significance (the garbage dump of all unknowns), and that these designs were carved into the cave... but anyone who has ever gone deep into a cave would recognize what would happen if someone freaked out, knocked out their light, then went nuts trying to dig themselves out of the place... they would make marks like that, just as persons buried alive do..

they do not think much in a large context, but in small narrow channels
so they miss a lot of stuff that is pretty easy to see, and in this case, they tie it to religion
the worship of the sun and some kind of adornment...

i would say its like thousands of other burial stuff found...
its the hair decoration of a wealthy woman who when attack was eminant, buried the goods for later retrieval
whoever knew that was there, probably didnt come back..
PinkDiamond

Re: Viking Jewelry

Post by PinkDiamond »

That's pretty wild Art, and you have to wonder what the purpose was for making thin spiral threads, but I don't think they have anything to do with hair ornaments since they'd get tangled in the hair too easily, or braid wraps because they're too lax and wouldn't really hold well, and even if they were, who the heck would need 2000 of them?! :lol:

I suspect they had another purpose, although I don't have a clue what that might be. Looks like they would have made good tree ornaments for Christmas though, or some real expensive confetti for New Year's eve. :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I've seen this before, it was woven into clothing for royalty, possibly the fabric disintegrated over time?
:)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

nice find ..but
1st - how they dated it ?
2nd - the term 'viking' is wrong
3nd - in 900bc there were no vikings :)

I think they made this 'spirals' because solid bar/ingot has no meaning except the richness .. the spiral was very important symbol for many 'tribes'
it represent the infinity and immortality + the gold has the same meaning

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

Very interesting, Art.

Could not help but chuckle after reading comments posted after the article by one poster that they were probably part of an ancient disco wig. :lol:
~ Jan ~

"...you gotta know your ABC's...
Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

It's Rumpelstiltskin's lair...
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

who the heck would need 2000 of them?!

well.. why does a man need 40 cars? who the heck would need that?
here is his top 21 cars http://www.odometer.com/pop-culture/591 ... on#slide/0

we also dont know how they counted them... did they say one for each large coil, or did they count the coils?

but you only have to look here to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoBDHNEa7fs
HOW TO:: BLING BOX BRAIDS

they start at the top and wrap the item with the hair as a core...
a giant tight spring... all the reasearhers had to do is see how people decorate themselves.
i would venture that they spend so much time away from the world, they make up bizare things when they finally do have to comment

At 4:42 she starts the wrap using gold wire...
she then wraps it around the brade tight (not just at the bottom to hold it as someone above says)

when done, she has a coil that is about half an inch long...
(you would be very surprised to know how much wire it takes to wrap a cylinder)

its silly to think anyhting else as there is no other use for such coils...
they can be the whole length of the hair, they can be just small sections repeated over and over.
when the person dies, the hair rots and your left with the coils..
they are prety useless for anything else... and a huge number of other things one may rap, wont rot like hair.

if african americans do it today, why not anchient viking women?
on etsy
Silver loc hair jewelry with two coils

I knew what they were the second i saw them as we still make them, sell them, and wear them.
reminds me of the movie a song is born
Mild-mannered Professor Hobart Frisbee (Danny Kaye) and his fellow academics, among them Professor Magenbruch (Benny Goodman), are writing a musical encyclopedia. In the process, they discover that there is some new popular music that is called jazz, swing, boogie woogie or rebop, introduced to them by two window washers Buck and Bubbles. The professors become entangled in the problems of nightclub singer Honey Swanson (Virginia Mayo). She needs a place to hide out from the police, who want to question her about her gangster boyfriend Tony Crow (Steve Cochran). She invites herself into their sheltered household, over Frisbee's objections. While there, she introduces them to the latest in jazz, with which they are unfamiliar, giving the film an excuse to feature many of the best musicians of the era. The songs they play include "A Song Is Born", "Daddy-O", "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", "Flying Home", and "Redskin Rumba".

forgot to mention that they are flat cause braids are not round... :)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Maybe it actually just doesn't have a purpose, maybe it's actually waste from engraving or some lathe process and they just never got around to melting it down again...lol.
:)