I’m Obsessed With This Jewelry by The Rock Hound

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

It's very rare that I tell you I like all the pieces from a jewelry artist, but these are those rare ones I think are all really nice, although the colors may be too bright for conservatives. What do you think? Are they beautiful works of art, or too gaudy? :)

I'm showing you the first pics in order, but not surprisingly, my favorite is the last one. :lol:

January 5, 2018 by Brittany Siminitz

"As preparations are being made for JCK Tucson, I’ve been busying myself getting acquainted with its exhibitors, both new and returning (if you want to read the things I’m learning and sharing about Tucson, visit JCK Insider). It shouldn’t come as a surprise that where Tucson is concerned, there’s a ton of amazing gemstone jewelry to discover.

But this year, it seems like there’s more than ever. I’ve been treated to a generous amount of insanely cool pictures of gemstone jewelry, and I envy those who will travel to the show to see them in person. Of all of the brands and designers that made me go “oh my goodness!” with their images (and it’s happened a lot), the one really blowing my mind is London-based The Rock Hound.

Chromanteq earrings in 18k white gold and purple nano ceramic with geode and amethyst, £8,400 ($11,392)

Chromanteq ring in 18k white gold and purple nano ceramic with 1.28 ct. golden heliodor, £4,200

Not only do the women behind the brand—founder Susi Smither and head of special projects Anita Shenoi—select the most enticing gems to work with, but also they’re set in ways that are so modern, so, for lack of a more specific word, cool. Cutting edge. Rockin’?

“It all starts with the gems,” says Smither. “I only work with exceptional and unique examples of color, cut, and saturation, so when it comes to the design I want to make jewelry that shows them off to their best advantage. Sometimes, it can take up to two years for the right suite of stones to come together.

“Suddenly I’ll spot the missing piece and the design will all slot into place in my mind. I searched for a way of coloring metal, and once I’d found nano ceramic coating, I was hooked. ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... -334329457
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
KKHK

Re: I’m Obsessed With This Jewelry by The Rock Hound

Post by KKHK »

First couple of pictures, to gaudi for my taste, but that ring is great.

So let me get that straight, she is covering perfectly good gold with ceramic?
Why use gold in the first place then?
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Reading up on Ceramic coating:
A clear coat would be great to apply to numerous porous and fragile material.
Even wood would pretty much last forever.
Lots of possible uses come to mind, but still question covering up gold. :)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

KKHK wrote:First couple of pictures, to gaudi for my taste, but that ring is great.

So let me get that straight, she is covering perfectly good gold with ceramic?
Why use gold in the first place then?

because when you ask $5000-$11000 for something witout TOP gems at least use gold :lol:
the idea is OK but I don't like the designs - sorry - it look cheap to me - like plastic or something made in china for $200 :oops:
I've seen more interesting designs with heat treated titanium and mokuti ( mokume gane with titanium ) which is a lot cheaper

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

i like the opal earrings
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

problem here is that size is a function of gaudy, and what would be horrid if the size of a walnut, might be ok if smaller than a pea
:)
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

So are you saying you don't like walnuts? :lol:
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

im allergic to walnuts..
brazils too
but peanuts, pistachios and cashews

life is but a game of russian roulette anyway.
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

and gaudy can be relative to what its beside
il_340x270.1193842415_g83q.jpg
il_340x270.1193842415_g83q.jpg (25.58 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

and this one hits gaudy AND vulgar - what a lovely thing to put on the tree for the season celebrating the birth of a child! :lol: :lol: :lol:
98-best-have-a-gaudy-gaudy-christmas-images-on-pinterest-ugly-christmas-decorations.jpg