Fairburn Agates. South Dakota's State Gemstone

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

jakesrocks

Re: Fairburn Agates. South Dakota's State Gemstone

Post by jakesrocks »

2-1/4" wide X 2-3/4" long X 2" thick at the thickest point. Fairly large for a Fairburn. It's been soaking in oxalic acid for about 6 hours. In the morning I'll mix a fresh batch of oxalic and let it soak for another 24 hours. Hopefully that will remove the tarnish without damaging the agate. If not I'll finish it by soda blasting.

I don't want to cut or grind on it. Fairburns are highly collectable in their natural state. Cleaning and oiling to bring out the colors. Cutting or grinding reduces their collector value.
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

It has been quite a while since I last added anything to this thread. I got a few Fairburns a while back, and just got around to taking pics of them.

Helgriffan

Post by Helgriffan »

Just wondering if you could tell me anything about my fairburn agate? I received this from my great grandmother who found it somewhere in south Dakota many years ago. It weighs just under 6lbs. It is beautiful with many crystals. Can you tell me anything about it? And do you have any estimations on what you think it would be worth?
Thanks Jordan
Attachments
agate4.jpg
agate3.jpg
agate2.jpg
agate1.jpg
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Jordan, Fairburns in that size range are very rare. What ever you do, don't cut it or try to polish it. It's worth much more as an untouched collectors piece. It would be difficult to say exactly where in the collecting area your piece was found. As for value, I'd estimate in the several hundred dollar range. There are many variables in putting a value on Fairburn agates. Size is only one. Colors of the bands, as some colors are more rare than others. Number of bands. The more the better. Completeness of the pattern. If a portion of the pattern is broken away, it lessens the value. A complete, unbroken "full Face" pattern is much more valuable to a collector.
While the crystals add to the look of your agate, they add very little to the value.

Don
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Thats a big one. Can't give you any help on value tho'. I was surprised the rarer druzy and "cavity" were not a difference. I can see quartz ball type ugly ones rounded down being a detraction, but smaller unrubbed druzy still sparkly would be a better specimen. I find less of the drusy than lined agates out here and rarely colored thats for sure. It is a cavity size/solution time frame thing.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Hi Jordan, and welcome to the forum. That's quite a chunk of Fairburn agate your grandma left you, and I'm glad these gentlemen chimed in since I only know what they've told us about it. Nice rock! :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Helgriffan

Post by Helgriffan »

Thanks for the replys everyone. I didnt know much about it. Ive had it for many years and so I figured Id post on here to see what everyone thought of it!! Its been sitting in my garage for years! lol
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Jordan, I sent a link to your pictures to a friend who is much more of an expert on Fairburn agates than I am. The opinion is that it's a TeePee canyon agate from Custer Co. South Dakota, and not a Fairburn. Still a very nice specimen piece, but not worth nearly as much as a Fairburn of that size.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

You are thru the pre-screening process now so your posts will now appear when you submit them, Jordan. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)