Aurora Borealis

Anything goes!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Rockranger

Aurora Borealis

Post by Rockranger »

I understand a lot of you in the US dont get to see the Northern lites very often.
There is a strong incoming CME burst which "should" produce some events your way. Keep glancing up the next few nights, mostly very early mornings you may catch this event.

GEOMAGNETIC STORM IN PROGRESS: A mild G1-class geomagnetic storm is in progress on June 22nd after one of a series of expected CMEs hit Earth's magnetic field. Another CME impact may be in the offing, so the storm could intensify in the hours ahead.
FULL HALO CME, STORM WARNING: A coronal mass ejection (CME) is heading directly for Earth. It left the sun during the early hours of June 21st, and is expected to sweep up one or two lesser CMEs already en route, before it reaches Earth sometime on June 22nd. NOAA forecasters estimate a 90% chance of polar geomagnetic storms when the CME arrives. This doesn't mean that a major space weather event is in the offing. The storm could be mild. It all depends on how the magnetic field of the CME connects to the magnetic field of Earth at the time of impact. According to NOAA, there's only a 10% chance of nothing happening, so stay tuned.
opalcreations

Re: Aurora Borealis

Post by opalcreations »

Hey Rock!
I'm glad you posted this, I'm an electronics tech by trade, and am a very big fan of Nicola Tesla, I studied his work for years, (and built a lot of things that emit lightning, lol) and have a pretty good grasp on electromagnetic field theory, and I'm one of those guys who is pretty concerned about CME's and our grid going down.

I've been waiting for the big old X class flare to happen, so it won't surprise me when it does!
Chris :)
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

They can be a little intimidating after such a small event that happened in Quebec and Ont a few years back. Cant imagine a big event and how far back we would have to reset.
Electricity scares the crap out of me. It really has an attraction towards me. :?
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

If you work with electricity, eventually you'll get "bit"...lol.
I've been electrocuted hundreds of times, it never feels better no matter how many times you get zapped...haha.

Hmmmm.maybe that's what's wrong with me!
graphics-3d-smileys-981300.gif
graphics-3d-smileys-981300.gif (20.69 KiB) Viewed 913 times
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

I saw them once in da U.P.
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
Lydia

Post by Lydia »

U.P.? What/where is that?
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Da U.P. is the magical land of the Yoopers. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) ;)
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

A little update and info for ya.

SEVERE GEOMAGNETIC STORM IN PROGRESS: A severe G4-class geomagnetic storm is in progress on June 22nd. This follows a series of rapid-fire CME strikes to Earth's magnetic field during the past 24 hours. Magnetic fields in the wake of the latest CME are strongly coupled to Earth's own magnetic field. This is a condition that could sustain the geomagnetic storm for many hours to come. High- and mid-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras tonight, especially during the hours around local midnight.
You all should catch something tonight if your skies stay cloud free.
G 4
Severe
Power systems: possible widespread voltage control problems and some protective systems will mistakenly trip out key assets from the grid.
Spacecraft operations: may experience surface charging and tracking problems, corrections may be needed for orientation problems.
Other systems: induced pipeline currents affect preventive measures, HF radio propagation sporadic, satellite navigation degraded for hours, low-frequency radio navigation disrupted, and aurora has been seen as low as Alabama and northern California (typically 45° geomagnetic lat.)**.
Kp = 8, including a 9-
100 per cycle
(60 days per cycle)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

We've seen them as far south as Arkansas, and much to my delight, the first ones I saw were pink! :lol: We sat outside in the wood-fired hot tub ogling them for a few nights that year. :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

It should be a fantastic event tonight if I can keep awake for it. Its rolling around our way as I speak.