Tattoos pose a health risk

Share your health tips, tricks, and stories here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Tattoos pose a health risk

Post by PinkDiamond »

I've always wondered about tattoo inks, and this is the first time I've seen an article on them come around in a long time, and since the dyes contain things found in gems that can affect cutters, I thought maybe this would interest you, and of course those sporting tattoos need to be aware of what's in those inks that may affect their health on down the road. :!:

This section is from the middle of the article. You can use the link below to access the entire article and send it to family and friends who should be aware of the issues with the inks. ;)

Are you injecting yourself with carcinogens?

Many, though not all, of the inks used for tattoos contain known carcinogens.

Some red dyes contain mercury and some greens and blues are made with cobalt – the same cobalt blue used in ceramics. What’s more, the chemical benzo(a)pyrene — commonly used for black ink -- causes skin cancer in animal tests and has also been linked to skin cancer in petroleum workers.

In a study conducted by Jorgen Serup, a professor of dermatology at Copenhagen University Hospital, carcinogenic chemicals were found in 13 out of 21 common European tattoo inks.1

Furthermore, ink manufacturers in the UK acknowledge that 5% of tattoo studios use inks containing known carcinogens. 2

Arsenic and heavy metals in your skin art

Besides the toxins already mentioned, several other chemicals commonly used in inks can damage your health.

Arsenic is a known carcinogen contained in some inks, and high enough exposure can cause genetic damage.

Beryllium, yet another carcinogen frequently present in tattoo ink, can also cause Chronic Beryllium Disease, which affects the lungs and can vary in severity from mild to fatal. It causes inflammation and sometimes scarring of the lung tissue, resulting most often in a persistent dry cough and shortness of breath.

Antimony can irritate your lungs, eyes, and skin, and prolonged exposure can ultimately lead to problems with your lungs, heart, and stomach.

Cadmium endangers your kidneys, bones, and heart.

Lead is extremely toxic to much of your body, including your bones, heart, nervous system, and kidneys. Symptoms of lead exposure can range from headaches to seizures and death.

Big damage from very tiny particles

Yet another danger comes from the fact that tattoo ink is filled with nanoparticles, ultra-microscopic in size, which can penetrate through the deeper layers of your skin and enter your bloodstream. These particles are unimaginably small, less than 100 billionths of a meter.

Evidence suggests that these nanoparticles are able to accumulate in certain filtering organs, especially your spleen and kidneys, impairing their ability to remove impurities and toxins from your body. Some nanoparticles may also be able to cause nerve damage.

While nanoparticles in themselves may not be particularly dangerous, they may enable heavy metals and carcinogenic chemicals to enter your body more readily, making these toxins even more toxic.

http://www.cancerdefeated.com/dont-risk ... SF92KPHRQ0
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Re: Tattoos pose a health risk

Post by opalcreations »

Maybe I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but the bible also says not to get tattoos :)
I don't have any, but the guy who leads the worship team music at my church has a lion and the lamb on his whole back, so I guess it's up to the individual :)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

you right about the Bible .. I think it was because many 'pagans' painted bodies or had tottoos
in many cases painting the bodies was the way of 'transforming' into animal which again for us it's something 'bad' but it was something like American Indians did with the feathers and eagle etc .. it was 'symbolically' - some did it for protection and other wanted to be fast like leopard or strong like a bear ...they saw the nature as something perfect good and they respect it .. and this didn't changed in native tribes all around the world ..
but 'modern tattoos' are mostly something trandy
actually I did some tattoo designs and couple tattoos long time ago in UK ... I spent a lot of time in tattoo studio with really good artist and I almost ended working as tattoo artist because back then I thought it's cool way of making money but founded later that it's not really something I want to do :P

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I really wanted a custom Japanese traditional tattoo for years, but I could never pull the trigger and get it done....lol.
:)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

:) Japanese tattoos are some of the best because the Japanese art and designs are based on this ancient early concept. Japanese culture is quite unique because even though now Japan is super modern country still the old traditions , techniques or styles are very important

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

Yikes, I didn't know that these carcinogens were in the dyes, Pink.

I almost got one when I was in the Marine Corps. Having freckles are the only tattoos I have. Spots everywhere.
~ Jan ~

"...you gotta know your ABC's...
Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

That's right gingie, they don't tell people that those toxins are in the inks, and how many tattoo artists ever read the ingredients anyway?

I have to agree that since pagans tattooed themselves, that and the risk of infection is likely why the Bible forbids tattoos, but there's also an element that believes that an evil person can transfer a demonic entity to a person when the skin is punctured.

Cue Twilight Zone music.... :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
GeorgeSharen

Post by GeorgeSharen »

re-used needles can pass on hiv/aids ....I'd say that qualifies as an evil entity
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

There was an X-Files episode of a tattoo that talked. Yes, the tattoo talked, and it was Jodie Foster's voice that the tattoo spoke with. :lol:

Just looked, it was the "Never Again" episode.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully on the X-Files again this summer!
~ Jan ~

"...you gotta know your ABC's...
Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder