Sugar

Share your health tips, tricks, and stories here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

opalcutter

Sugar

Post by opalcutter »

I think the biggest tip I can give on this subject would be, "cut down on eating sugar". It now appears to be the additive of choice, remove the fat and replace it with sugar. Its everywhere, and yes I was eating a bar of chocolate while typing this, so that makes me a hypocrite. Which is another topic :lol:
Honesty is the best policy but insanity is the best defense.
Lydia

Re: Sugar

Post by Lydia »

And salt too! (chocolate is good for you in very small amounts - good, dark chocolate)
opalcutter

Post by opalcutter »

:lol: My problem is I just love chocolate but, unfortunately, all chocolate :lol: Salt I can cut down by just cooking without it but sugar its even in ketchup, baked beans even in the bran flakes I eat for breakfast. I tried to cut down but failed miserably.... :(
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

The key is to avoid added sugar because you can't get away from it in processed foods. You are quite right though, and sugar is what's causing obesity, not fats (other than transfats you should avoid at all costs). The natural medical field says to avoid all the white deaths; white sugar, white salt, white flour. Beet sugar is out now that most beet crops are GMO, so plain cane sugar is best in the long run unless you go to the cellulose sweeteners like erythrytol, the herb stevia, or Xylitol. I prefer to use granulated maple sugar instead of cane.

As far as salt goes, the levels recommended are leading to heart muscles that seize up and cramp because they're so low, and they have raised the recommendation to a slightly higher level, but not nearly enough for most to get the benefits of the micro-minerals found in colored salt.

BTW, low and non-fat dairy products have huge amounts of sugar added to them to compensate for the loss of taste once the fat is removed, leaving people to wonder why they drink non-fat milk and still gain weight. :roll:

Dark chocolate is a healthy snack, but a lot of people have mild to severe allergies to it. I love dark chocolate, but can't eat much of it. I'm also allergic to caffeine, so it's not surprising I can't tolerate much chocolate, but sometimes I just can't resist. :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Lydia

Post by Lydia »

I'm learning that all processed foods are not especially good for you. Commercial brand cereals are off my list, ketchup has never been on it. You should try making your own baked beans in a crock pot. This trying to stay healthy takes time and some effort.

Allergic to caffeine - I would not be able to function. I've cut back a lot, but caffeine is a necessity.
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

opalcutter wrote:I think the biggest tip I can give on this subject would be, "cut down on eating sugar". It now appears to be the additive of choice, remove the fat and replace it with sugar. Its everywhere, and yes I was eating a bar of chocolate while typing this, so that makes me a hypocrite. Which is another topic :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I think I need to cut back on caffeine - coffee. :(
~ Jan ~

"...you gotta know your ABC's...
Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder
opalcutter

Post by opalcutter »

:lol: I Don't even try to cut down on caffeine. My staff would all walk out if I didn't get any. They say I'm bad enough with it...... :lol:
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

:lol: OC!
~ Jan ~

Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Well... last night I ate a pink waffle cone with two kinds of frozen yogurt, Lindor Chocolate and Cotton Candy. Then I had a bagel AND a ham sandwich. Today when I weighed in I still lost a pound!! Course... perhaps it's cause the eating was only in my dream... Sure was good though!
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

:lol: KJ! Guess there's nothing wrong with dreaming about sweets!
~ Jan ~

Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder