My vote for the ugliest "gemstone"

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

rocks2dust

My vote for the ugliest "gemstone"

Post by rocks2dust »

Once worth more than the diamonds, rubies, emeralds and sapphires that encrusted their golden settings, bezoars were set into rings, lockets, elaborate cases, cups and all kinds of products of the jeweler's art. But U*G*L*Y (they are hard-as-rock, compacted masses of matted hair and other indigestible material glued together with secretions from the stomachs or small intestines of goats and certain other animals). A few decades ago I bought a reproduction case from the Met, and eventually acquired a bezoar to store in it. Gotta have a case for the thing - who'd want to touch it (let alone swirl it around your wine or food) :?:
Image Image
They were once thought to be a sure-fire antidote for poison, so every duke, bishop, prince, cardinal, king, emperor and pope had to have one on hand. Who knows how many got sick from whatever was lurking in the bezoar :shock: For some reason, they can still be pricey, though I doubt they get set much into jewels. I think the Chinese still use them in alternative medicine (plus a lot of other disgusting stuff).

Now, if only someone would start a fad involving cat's fur balls, I'd be RICH!
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
SwordfishMining

Re: My vote for the ugliest "gemstone"

Post by SwordfishMining »

Those are too easy R2 LOL It has to be for the magical nature and then you understand the saying "Curiosity kills the cat". I have Ajoite coming out but without being locked up in quartz it fades in the sun, dries out I guess. Why I got all the wet stones.....No I dont have a Bezoar, but a few enhydros somewhere
Last edited by SwordfishMining on Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

It's a tossup whether it's that, or coprolite. I suppose it depends on whether you like barf or poop the least. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
rocks2dust

Post by rocks2dust »

Azurite still is used in some artist paints, and I learned in art school that it, and all natural blue pigments, are particularly prone to fading. I remember when folks avoided buying blue autos because of fading problems, too.

Although its blue is prone to fading for a different reason, I keep my maxixe beryls in the dark as much as possible, but that doesn't prevent them from being among my favorites. A maxixe pear/drop is much more attractive than the bezoar "drop"

I forgot about coprolite :lol: But, at least some coprolites can have some pretty patterns and colors.
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else