Spring 2017 Photo Contest - post your entries

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

crazy8s

Re: Spring 2017 Photo Contest - post your entries

Post by crazy8s »

That crystal is about an inch across,for carving it is still small. I can't remember if I used my tripod or not with these photos. :D
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

An inch? Thats already super big..... !
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Due to this hobby, I got a lot to chose from when it comes to wearing something around my neck.

But the one piece that stays constant is this cross. Bought all stones individually over more than 2 years, till I had the set together. 5 Auburn and 4 yellow diamonds, VSI at worst and VVS at best, each in the .3-.4 range. Plus the sapphire at the center. Arranged design, and then had someone here in Hong Kong do metalwork to bring it all together.

m76steve

Post by m76steve »

This is a show & tell item, the wifes wedding ring, 1.48ct alexandrite mounted in 14kt white gold band by my jeweler, the color change is just changing light source- 8-)
DSCN8512+.JPG
DSCN8512+.JPG (53.46 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
DSCN8515+.JPG
DSCN8515+.JPG (52.91 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
Last edited by m76steve on Wed May 31, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

That's a huge crystal 8's, and Kurt, that cross is spectacular. I just wish the background was lighter so we could see the color of the stones better. ;)

And m76, I love alexandrite. Do you know where it's from? :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
rocks2dust

Post by rocks2dust »

I expect to add to each prize before the contest end, but here are photos of each thus far:

Prize packet 1: dendritic quartz, star garnet, phrenite, Priday thunderegg cab, Imperial topaz, dendritic opal, iolite sunstone, hydrogrossular garnet, aquamarine, needle-drilled quartz, painite mm, chlorastrolite mm, humite mm, bornite tn, cave rose tn, fossil limb from Virgin Valley

Prize packet 2: sphene, Baltic amber, garden sapphire, eudialyte, cat's eye beryl, seraphinite, sagenite agate, mtrolite, lace agate, Bloody Basin plume agate, pargasite mm, euclase mm, vanadinite mm, brazilianite mm, goshenite mm, smoky quartz miniature

Prize packet 3: purpurite, carnelian, epidote in quartz, axenite, hessonite, morrisonite, mookaite, dendritic opal, spinel in quartz, oxides on rutile in quartz, aurichalcite mm, iridescent garnet mm, sinhalite mm, azurite ball concretion, chlorite in quartz mm, assorted Bone Valley, Florida fossils

The 3 prizes don't differ significantly in value, and first place winner will be able to choose, followed by second place winner, with third being stuck with the remaining prize. So there is a slight advantage for your post being closest to the winning number. Hopefully, SwordfishMining won't be forced into taking another VV limb (I'll find a substitute if that happens) :lol:
Last edited by rocks2dust on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
m76steve

Post by m76steve »

So far im seeing some very nice items for this posting, the alex in the ring was bought in 2006 & was listed as Russian in origin- 8-)
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

WOWwow......
Those are amazing prizes. are you sure you want to let go of so many???????

Does the Wlimb have a dark interior? Somehow, raven comes to mind at first sight.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wow is right, what a selection! I would have to ask the same question as Kurt; are you really sure you want to offer so many??! I don't even think we have as many members as you have prizes! :lol:

Come on people, enter your pics! :!:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
rocks2dust

Post by rocks2dust »

The Virgin Valley limb hasn't been cut, but appears to have a mixed interior. Although there is some white common opal showing, it feels too light to have much use as a cutter. There are some additional items (including some rough) I'm setting aside to include, but I haven't yet decided how to divide those - I'll probably allocate the additional items according to whatever I think may be most interesting to each winner. Apologies for my blurry prize pics, but the idea is to encourage folks to enter their own photos. Some fine entries so far - but don't let that intimidate anyone - as I said, any rock or piece of gravel qualifies as an entry :)
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else