COCKADOODLE DOO

Discussion and pictures of your favorite critters!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Re: COCKADOODLE DOO

Post by PinkDiamond »

I was making a funny and y'all missed it. :lol:

I'm sure you know not to eat the eggs while they're on the parasite meds. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

I get eggs from the librarian as one of the neighbors gives up a few dozen excess eggs every week for the locals to have.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
mick

Post by mick »

I went outside, two chooks KIA on the front lawn, one walking around with PTSD, one cowered in a corner WIA and two MIA presumed KIA

That left two, then one escaped POW turned up a few hours later.

So I lost 3/6 one wasnt laying so lost 2/5 eggs a day.

Two days later a girl knocks on my door, a fox just ran off with one of your chooks, 8am, a joke. It must have been watchng me.
I couldnt find the other two so I put my tracking boots on and traced the fox to a few hndred yards away them lost it. But I know where its gone.
It wont be around much longer. Two chooks turned up a few hours later, I think they were hiding atop some boxes in the shipping container.

So now I have 2 chooks, the original survivor with PTSD but it is laying.
The WIA has a lot of feathers gone, no blood, is obviously got PTSD not laying.

So in a week I will get 4 chicks dunnop breed yet and see if she will raise them if not I will work out how to do it, I think all I need is a lightbulb.

Foxes were introduced into Austtralia in the 1800s for landed gentry from England to shoot. They have no native predator. Australia must have tens of millions of them, maybe more than people. They are as common as rats in the city. In the bush they are shot and poisoned but its impossible to control the numbers.

YOu can read further here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-07/f ... my/9485428
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

One of the reasons i dont want to be a rancher or farmer. Everything wants to eat. We see more foxes run over than coyotes out here. There is a healthy population and trapping seasons on them. Its sad the trappers get the visible ones first at a few dens right by the road instead of just the out of sight "wild ones" in the bush. On the other hand i dont miss seeing beavers gone from the swimming hole they keep trying to dam. Government trappers got them even if there are seasons on the wildlife refuge fro anything huntable. You cant wander around killing vermin tho. Just game species in season. Otherwise NV is an open carry state and predators are always in the sights.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

:o Ohhhh noooo!!! So sorry to hear of your losses to the fox, mick. Sounds like Oz needs to start exporting fox-fur coats to Siberians. :?

When you get the new chicks, ask the seller what they require to keep them warm until they're old enough to maintain their own body heat, which may mean more than a light bulb. You'll also need the crumble chick feed since they can't eat the adult food yet, but keeping the adults out of their food may be a challenge if they're all walking around the coop freely.

At least you still have a few for eggs, and in a few months the new ones will be laying so you'll be well stocked again soon. Such are the joys and pitfalls of raising fowl. :?
PinkDiamond

mick

Post by mick »

Ive decided IM not going to rush out and get more. If I find more well and good, but I like my animals too much to keep having them taken by foxes.
If they cant run around free, theres no point in having them.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wouldn't it be better to trap the fox and relocate it? I know how you feel when you can't protect your critters, but hope you don't end up giving up and losing out on the eggs you enjoy so much. Bummer, mick. :(
PinkDiamond

mick

Post by mick »

I would shoot it but there are two cops living over the road. People shoot them and poison them but I cant do either in the town.
A few nights ago it or they got the chooks two doors down killed 2 took 4.
The one we think is the culprit aint scared of anyone or anything, its been seen calmly walking down the road at all hours of the day.
Being spring they are breeding.
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Try talking to the cops about it, you never know. That fox must be well hated by now.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

If you can't take out the fox because you're in town, isn't there some sort of animal control that picks up dead critters off the road? If so, maybe they can tranquilize the thing and get it the heck out of Dodge. It will definitely need to be dealt with before you or anyone else can raise more chickens, and I sure hope it doesn't get the few you've got left. Good luck, mick. :?
PinkDiamond