Akaila Reid Launches ‘Eat Cake’ Collection

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

What a riot to do a Marie Antoinette collection called 'Eat Cake'. :lol:

This is a 20 piece collection, and there's a small slideshow in the this with photos the photographer should have been too ashamed to publish, but that's beside the point and we can get a decent idea of the jewels so use the link to check them out. ;)

Founder and designer Akaila Johnson found inspiration in Marie Antoinette and her time visiting the French court.

"New York—Akaila Reid has launched its new collection, “Eat Cake,” inspired by Marie Antoinette’s phrase “let them eat cake.”

The offering is filled with ultra-feminine themes, fitting trendy coquette fashion.

Throughout the 20-piece collection, there are yellow gold bows, pastel-colored sapphires, and blue Tahitian pearls.

Akaila Johnson, the founder and designer of Akaila Reid, is an emerging BIPOC designer based in New York City. She launched the namesake brand in 2020.

For “Eat Cake,” her fourth collection, she created these pieces to celebrate the wealth and beauty she experienced while visiting the French court.

“I have always been drawn to the most opulent and feminine things and ways of life, so I wanted to make a collection that was just wildly me. To me, Marie Antoinette is the epitome of feminine opulence,” said Johnson.

“When I visited Versailles as a kid, I was instantly enamored with the palace and the history of the French court. I especially loved how ornate and grandiose the bedrooms were. The colors and patterns that covered every inch of the rooms was like nothing I’d ever seen, and I would very happily, then and now, like to take up residence in the palace.”

Akaila Reid’s jewelry is meant to bring joy to everyday life, said the company, and “Eat Cake” does this by commemorating the beauty that comes with femininity.

“I have also made a decision to live as my most feminine authentic self, and my style has reached its most natural and final form, so I wanted to create jewelry to complement that,” said Johnson.

Johnson often finds inspiration from within when creating new pieces, similar to her previous collection “Wavy Baby,” which was developed after she spent time in healthcare settings watching heart monitors.

The “Eat Cake” collection ranges from ... "

https://nationaljeweler.com/articles/12 ... collection
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)