Monica Rich Kosann Is Feeling Fables & Fairy Tales

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

These pieces are all based on fables and fairy tales, and they're all done very well and depict a small portion of each story that's just enough to let everyone know which story they depict, so I think they're clever and adorable except for the "We're All Mad Here" pendants that are just words. ;)

By Amy Elliott | March 21, 2024

"Fairies and fairy tales rank right up there with rabbits and Easter candy when it comes to Things I Love. (Another year without Russell Stover jelly beans? Really? They’re officially the Kate Middleton of sweets!) And that’s precisely why I am so enchanted (ha) by Monica Rich Kosann’s latest collection, which is focused on imagery plucked from fairy tales and fables.

Instead of Kosann’s signature lockets and such, we have little jewels inspired by her favorite stories—specifically, those by Grimm, Aesop, and Lewis Carroll.

“I have always loved fairy tales…so many have inspiring morals,” she tells JCK. “I used to love reading these stories over and over again and compare them to things in life. ‘The Tortoise and the Hare] has always been one of my favorites…I always explain to my daughters that slow and steady wins the race.”

As any designer would, Kosann has landed on a single motif to represent each story. But these jewels go beyond that: Each motif is imbued with carefully considered, built-in symbolism.

For example, “the concept of having magic beans in ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ is sort of a symbol of inspiration,” Kosann explains, “and makes you feel you are empowered to do anything if you have your magic beans. It embraces themes that are a core part of our collection for years, like carpe diem or perseverance,”

And the apple is not just a nod to Snow White: “The apple is in so many stories, and so symbolic,” says Kosann. “And in the end I feel like the woman in the story is resilient and gets through her obstacles, so for me, the apple always represents a theme of female empowerment.”

Whimsical jewelry is de rigueur within a certain sector of the jewelry-loving public, whether it’s inspired by tarot cards, creatures, or mood rings. But that’s not the intent of this collection, says Kosann.

“These are stories that have inspired generations. Not just through the ‘moral of the story’ in many instances, but through their magic. They make us feel good. That’s what I want our jewelry to do every day.”

Of course the Monica Rich Kosann brand has evolved significantly from the lockets that put it on the map 20 years ago. “We are so much more than lockets today,” says Kosann. “They are the foundation of our storytelling brand, but we quickly realized that a big part of our brand would be about taking iconic ideas and making them cool again for a new generation.”

Kosann says her current collections share a common element: “They all create emotional connection with our clients.”

As for the piece in the Fables & Fairy Tales line that she connects to on a personal level, it’s the “We’re All Mad Here” necklace.

“I love the story in Alice in Wonderland where the Mad Hatter just taps into a bit of madness. I think that a bit of happy madness for all of us is good. It allows us to be curious, and to be loving and is something we all need.”

She adds, “Let’s all embrace a bit of fun, creativity, and inner madness!”

Done and done—and if anyone sees those Russell Stover jelly beans, please send them my way. I am mad for them indeed.

“We’re All Mad Here” pendant in sterling silver with white sapphire ($295) or 18k gold with diamond ($1,525)

The Magic Bean necklace in 18k gold with diamonds and four green tourmalines, $2,470

The Apple necklace in 18k gold with red enamel and diamond, $1,895

The Tortoise and the Hare necklace in 18k gold with diamonds and green tourmaline, $2,480

The Kiss necklace in 18k gold with ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... airytales/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)