Piece of the Week: The Lotus Tiara

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I can't recall ever posting a photo of a peridot tiara before, so this one's special, as well as being my birthstone so I'm loving it, but I really wish I could copy the pic of it being worn as a necklace that's on Instagram because that's how I would wear it if I owned it. Check this out and use the link to see it being worn as a choker. 8-)

"With St. Patrick’s Day on the horizon, we’ve got green jewels on the brain.

This week’s Piece of the Week is an award-winning, versatile peridot tiara that converts to a necklace.

Each year, the UK-based Goldsmith’s Craft & Design Council (GCDC) holds a craft and design competition.

The nonprofit, founded in 1908, is focused on upholding, maintaining, and enhancing craft, design, and technological skills nationally, in the profession and in education.

For the past three years, mining company Fuli Gemstones, which mines peridot in China, has partnered with the council on a section specifically for peridot jewelry in the competition’s 2D Design category.

Last year, the design brief for the category called for tiara designs in celebration of the May 2023 coronation of King Charles III, where he received the St. Edward's Crown, a historic artifact containing 444 fine gemstones, including one peridot, only worn at the moment of coronation.

“The Lotus Tiara,” designed by Kayla Rimmon of London-based Aril Jewels, received the gold award for the category.

In ancient Egyptian times, the lotus flower, which closes and sinks underwater at night only to rise and open again at dawn, symbolized the sun, creation, and rebirth.

Also, the Egyptians called peridot “the gem of the sun,” believing it symbolized hope, rebirth, and life.

“The design celebrates peridot’s symbolism and connection with ancient Egypt,” said Rimmon of the harmonious pairing.

Rimmon’s rendering of her Lotus tiara

In the original design brief, the miner noted it would explore manufacturing options with the winner, so since receiving the award, Rimmon and Chloë Woodmansterne of Aril Jewels, have worked with Fuli Gemstones to bring the design to life.

“We are so thrilled with the final result, the peridots compliment the design beautifully,” says Pia Tonna, executive director of Fuli Gemstones.

The tiara features nine marquise-cut, two pear-cut and one half-moon-cut Fuli peridots, accented with aquamarines, amethysts, and pink tourmalines and accompanied by 259 white diamonds totaling 6.56 carats. The frame is set in platinum and 18-karat gold.

It also converts into a necklace, giving the wearer a modern-day option for less formal occasions.

The tiara was first unveiled and on display March 4 at the 2024 GCDC Awards ... "

https://nationaljeweler.com/articles/12 ... otus-tiara
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)