Emily P. Wheeler Shares Her Heart in a Meaningful Fundraising Locket

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This is beautiful, and I think you'll find the story of how it came about to be very interesting. I like this well enough that I would buy this one. :)

By Karen Dybis | March 06, 2024

"Emily P. Wheeler has debuted a locket that ties her personal story to her jewelry business and helps raise money for people who need health care.

Earlier this year Wheeler underwent open-heart surgery related to an enlarged aorta caused by Marfan Syndrome, a genetic disorder that affects connective tissue in the body. She shared the news of her surgery and a photo in the hospital on Instagram, noting that she was diagnosed with Marfan at 3 years old. “I am an open book, and sharing the personal side of the story was a no-brainer,” Wheeler says.

“I am doing much better than I was a few weeks ago,” she tells JCK via email. “It’s a slow recovery, but it’s so nice to be on this side of things.”

Grateful for the support she has received during this medical situation, Wheeler is using her jewelry-design talent to fundraise for the Marfan Foundation, which seeks to improve quality of life for people with genetic aortic and vascular conditions and to provide financial aid for their health care. She has committed to donating 100% of profits from her new Have a Heart locket to the Marfan Foundation.

“I wanted to give back to an organization that has supported me and my family my entire life,” Wheeler says. “My surgery was at the beginning of Marfan Awareness Month, and it just felt meant to be.”

The inside of the locket is engraved with the Marfan Foundation‘s slogan.

The gold locket, handcrafted by Wheeler’s team, comes in her signature ombré gemstone palette and is engraved inside with the Marfan Foundation’s slogan, “have a heart” (represented with a heart symbol in the engraving). It is priced at $5,800 and available on the Emily P. Wheeler website.

The locket has a minor “imperfection,” Wheeler says—a gold line across its sapphire- and amethyst-adorned front. This is meant to represent people with heart disorders like Marfan as well as others going through hardship, she says.

Wheeler says Marfan Syndrome is something she will always live with and will always have an impact on who she is as a person and as a jewelry designer. “I believe it’s shaped me to live life to the fullest and have little patience for the silly things that don’t matter. I tend to make decisions quickly and focus on the future. That definitely affects how I run my business.”

She adds, “Although the surgery was successful, a lot went wrong in the hospital, which was extremely scary for me and my family. I am still coming to terms with what happened and trying to understand how it has impacted me emotionally. I expect that to be a long journey.

“All of this has made me ever more ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... er-locket/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)