Andre Chervin & Carvin French Jewelers

Anything goes!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SwordfishMining

Andre Chervin & Carvin French Jewelers

Post by SwordfishMining »

https://www.nyhistory.org/exhibitions/e ... h-jewelers link to museum show
Enchanting Imagination: The Objets d’Art of André Chervin and Carvin French Jewelers is a dazzling exhibition of meticulously created objets d’art, on view to the public for the very first time. André Chervin (born 1927 in Paris, France), with his New York atelier, Carvin French, is one of the most acclaimed makers of handcrafted fine jewelry in the world. Yet unbeknownst to even his most ardent admirers, Chervin’s true lifetime passion was creating a collection of unique, precious objets d’art at Carvin French. These enchanting one-of-a-kind lamps, clocks, figurines, boxes, personal accessories, and table decorations, are fashioned in gold and silver, with gems such as rubies, diamonds, and sapphires and masterfully carved semi-precious stones like jadeite jade, lapis lazuli, amethyst, and rock crystal quartz.

Over the past six decades, Carvin French has manufactured thousands of magnificent pieces for Tiffany & Co., Cartier, Bulgari, Verdura, and other distinguished shops. Though revered by jewelry experts and professionals, the name Carvin French is generally unknown to the public as anonymity was essential to the firm’s success: each jewelry retailer sold the firm’s masterworks under their own brand names. Several pieces of Carvin French jewelry are shown in the exhibition, including stunning one-of-a-kind brooches such as the extraordinary Butterfly brooch, scintillating with fancy vivid yellow diamonds framed in blackened steel, made for Ralph Esmerian.

The main focus of the exhibition is on Chervin’s artistic extension beyond jewelry and his creation of bejeweled objets d’art. Conceived and engineered by Chervin and fabricated under his watchful eye by his artisans in between work on commissioned jewelry work, each objet evolved over the course of five to 25 years with most measuring a mere three to eight inches in height. Highlights include the poignant My Heavy Heart, a boudoir lamp that incorporates a large, shimmering, citrine heart poised atop an 18 karat gold wheelbarrow overflowing with colored diamond flowers.

Curated by Debra Schmidt Bach, New-York Historical’s curator of decorative arts and special exhibitions.
Lead support for Enchanting Imagination: The Objets d’Art of André Chervin and Carvin French Jewelers

André Chervin
Born in Paris in 1927 to a secular Jewish family involved in the jewelry trade, Chervin lived in the city until World War II forced the family to flee for the south of France. After the war, Chervin enrolled at the Haute École de Joaillerie (est. 1867), the foremost jewelry school in France. When Chervin emigrated to New York in 1951, he found that as a French-trained jeweler, he was in immediate demand. He later met Serge Carponcy, who became his partner in 1954 when the two opened Carvin French Jeweler

On display, stunning one-of-a-kind brooches such as the extraordinary Butterfly brooch, set with fancy vivid yellow diamonds framed in blackened steel, made for jeweler Ralph Esmerian, the Gold Frog brooch, and the Lily of the Valley brooch made for the designer Fulco di Verdura.

more in the article and that lamp.
www.roskingemnewsreport.com/enchanting- ... -jewelers/
Last edited by PinkDiamond on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made link to Roskin article active
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Re: Andre Chervin & Carvin French Jewelers

Post by PinkDiamond »

That's really something, and I edited your post to make the link to the article at Roskin active, and I was glad I did because I love the wheelbarrow with the heart, and this one really fascinates me. 8-)

PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)