Here’s What Wedding Rings Look Like in a Tradition-Busting Boutique

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

These are nice but I honestly can't say I'd look twice at anything they show us in this article. :?

Oh, and the neon orange nail polish in the last pic is garish and needs to go. :lol:

By Victoria Gomelsky | February 14, 2024

"Long before designer jewelry boutiques became a staple of hip shopping neighborhoods across the country, there was Roseark. Since 2008, the Los Angeles retailer has operated out of a charming bungalow in West Hollywood. The 5,000-square-foot indoor/outdoor space has the vibe of a jewelry oasis surrounded by tranquil gardens.

Roseark in West Hollywood, Calif. (photo by Stephanie Helguera)

Along with featuring jewelry designed by husband-and-wife owners Rick and Kayla Rose, the store stocks gender-neutral designs by Crescent Heights Hardware Lab, a collaboration between Rick and the tattoo artist Dr. Woo, as well as pieces by local designers such as Elisabeth Bell, Perez Bitan, Amy Gregg, and Jaine K. Designs. Home goods and art are also part of the mix and on display in the back gallery.

Kayla and Rick Rose (photo by Stephanie Helguera)

In 2018, JCK ran a story that described Roseark as “a famously cooler-than-cool gallery-format store that habitually launches A+ talent across fine jewelry, art, home furnishings, and other one-of-a-kind luxuries.” All of which still applies. That’s why, in search of insights into what’s trending in the wedding jewelry space, we recently reached out to Rick to talk all things bridal.

While Roseark doesn’t position itself as a bridal jeweler (“We don’t have a dedicated section of mountings that we could fashion a loose stone to—like the rest of our store, we’re very nontraditional,” he says), the store is a bellwether for trends, given its location in the heart of La-La-Land and the Roses’ sharp eye for of-the-moment design.

“We do a lot of custom bridal,” Rick says. “People come in looking for the very non-traditional ring. It could be an opal or a blue topaz or something that resonates with them. We had someone in the other day looking at what we’d traditionally sell as an eternity band, but they were looking at that as an engagement ring. Our customers don’t want that traditional emerald cut with a halo or baguette sides.”

Stem and Thorne ring in 18k rose gold with 12.4 ct. Colombian emerald and diamond pavé, $20,000; Roseark

Below are Rick’s observations about what clients getting engaged circa 2024 are looking for:

On how lab-grown diamonds have changed style preferences

“With the rise of lab diamonds, people are looking at natural mined stones in a different way. Surprisingly, they’re saying, ‘We want more inclusions. We want the champagne color. We want to move into the grays.’ They’re moving far away from that ‘perfect’ diamond and trying to find something that makes them unique.”

On the appeal of colored stone centers

“People really are looking at colored stones. And not necessarily your traditional ruby, sapphire, emerald. People are digging deeper. They’re looking at what would normally be considered a cocktail ring.”

On the shape of things to come

“Ovals are definitely sought after. Ten years ago they made a little bit of a resurgence, and I think they’re swinging back around. For people looking for more square stones, it’s cushions and Asschers. In colors, we’re seeing more emerald cuts.”

Glacial sapphire ring in 14k yellow gold with 5.1 ct. Ceylon sapphire and diamonds, $3,975; Elisabeth Bell

On pandemic and post-pandemic engagements

“During the pandemic, people were still getting engaged. Maybe people had that small ceremony. People were dating. Contrary to how we were supposed to be in our bubbles, they were definitely bubble-busting. What we hear is that the younger generation isn’t dating, but I think people will always find a way to get together. I don’t think we saw a downtick in bridal. But again, we don’t have that traditional perspective.”

On the ring he designed for his wife

“Kayla and I got engaged on New Year’s Day 2015 on Butterfly Beach in Montecito, near Santa Barbara. We were on the sand and I kept thinking to myself, ‘Do not drop this.’ She had no idea about the ring. It had to be my masterpiece. I was my own client.

Rick Rose designed this oval diamond engagement ring for his wife, Kayla. (Photo courtesy of Roseark)

“It’s an oval diamond center set in 18k rose gold. The design is kind of like our store. I did the band very organically, but the top of the ring is ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... ing-rings/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)