Q&A: Mattia Cielo on Why Flexible Jewelry Will Expand in 2024

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

These are lovely, and as long as they don't de-form I'm all for flexible jewelry. Check this out. 8-)

By Karen Dybis | December 21, 2023

"Many people have had that moment with a piece of jewelry they otherwise love: a pair of large hoops that just feel too heavy in your earlobes, or a favorite bracelet slipping off your wrist time and again when you try to put it on.

To address such “pain points” for wearers of fine jewelry, Mattia Cielo pursues the latest innovations in ergonomic design to go along with the premium traditional Italian craftsmanship offered by his luxury jewelry brand, Mattia Cielo.

Ergonomics may seem incongruous with jewelry, something you more likely associate with desk chairs and kitchen utensils. But Cielo says he’s on a mission to bring ergonomics to his innovative jewelry designs, including the Rugiada Diamanti collection of diamond spiral bracelets, rings, necklaces, and earrings. He’s proud to be known among his clients as the king of slinky bracelets and light, flexible hoops.

Mattia Cielo says his brand designs jewelry that’s made of gold but has the flexibility of surgical titanium.

The Mattia Cielo brand is a collaboration between Cielo, a second-generation jeweler, and artist and designer Massimiliano Bonoli, whom Cielo calls the architect of the jewels. Bonoli engineers Mattia Cielo’s gold and titanium jewelry, combining industrial design and jewelry-making in pieces that are contemporary yet timeless, Cielo says.

JCK spoke with the Mattia Cielo founder and CEO about his ideas for flexibility in jewelry design and how this could be on-trend for 2024 and beyond.

What makes jewelry ergonomic?

Ergonomic jewelry prioritizes comfort and takes into consideration how jewelry interacts with the body. It’s all about designing and crafting pieces that not only adorn but also become one with the wearer, whether it’s a subtle twist of the wrist or a gentle sway of the neck. The result is that the jewelry doesn’t feel like an accessory; it feels like an organic extension of the self. It extends to the choice of materials and manufacturing techniques, ensuring that the jewelry is also gentle on the skin.

These rose gold diamond hoops ($24,500) are an example of Mattia Cielo’s use of high-impact gemstones on a light frame, for jewelry that’s comfortable to wear all day.

This approach can be seen throughout all of the Mattia Cielo collections. They are light, soft, and flexible jewels. They are easy to wear, with a perfect fit. The goal is to make wearing jewelry a more comfortable and enjoyable experience while maintaining aesthetics and style.

What is your overall jewelry philosophy that influences your designs?

My journey in jewelry design was ignited by the principles of deconstructivism, where I sought to fuse architectural concepts with the world of jewelry. Over the years, our dedication to crafting metamorphic jewels has driven us to incorporate groundbreaking technologies from unrelated fields, such as aerospace and medical science. Our early, avant-garde concepts have since evolved into the sleek and minimalist shapes that define our designs today.

Is your jewelry gaining appeal because the population is aging worldwide and more people need easier-to-wear jewelry?

Wellness and self-care are fundamental and enduring practices that will shape our lives for many years. Are they related to the aging population? I don’t know. I feel ladies don’t want compromises in their lifestyle. They want the best for them. It’s time that our industry also provides it.

Why do you think light and flexible jewelry is the future?

Jewelry is made of metal and gems, not the easiest material to bend on a human body. It has been traditionally challenging given the rigid nature of metals and gemstones. But I love a challenge. Infusing ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... e-jewelry/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)