Light Up Your Jewelry Collection for Diwali

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Whether you celebrate Diwali or not, the jewelry in this one is all tasteful and very nice. :)

By Karen Dybis | November 10, 2023

"During the Indian festival of lights Diwali, which begins Sunday, people say prayers, prepare offerings, come together with family and friends, and enjoy fireworks—and Subikksha Balaje, the India-born founder of jewelry brand Goldstories, has suggestions for adding a touch of gold to one’s party apparel.

“Diwali is more than a religious event. It has evolved to become more of a cultural thing,” says Balaje, who comes from southern India and now lives in San Francisco, where she will honor Diwali with friends. “Thanks to social media, there are no more borders on celebrations. People participate traditionally or in a more modern sense.”

Subikksha Balaje says the jewelry she creates for Goldstories is partly inspired by her roots in southern India, so various pieces are ideal for the Indian festival Diwali, celebrated worldwide.

Goldstories’ jewelry is intended for everyday wear, but many of its pieces are appropriate for special occasions, she says. For Diwali, she mentions a mango-inspired pendant, colored-stone ring, or organically shaped earrings to bring that something extra to any outfit.

Handmade in California, Goldstories’ limited-run jewelry is influenced by Indian culture, Balaje’s family, and their traditions. “All of our pieces are inspired by my travel and my core childhood memories,” she says. “The mango pendant is a dear piece that my mom and grandmother had. I wanted to make a more modern, accessible version for people to wear on Diwali that is simpler, as well as one that is grander with gemstones on it.”

The Kala ring ($600) comes in a choice stones of different colors, including black and orange.

Balaje says she will wear the mango along with her necklace with an evil eye pendant that she never takes off. To add more flair to her Diwali ensemble, she will wear a Kala ring, which she says is one of her brand’s best sellers. She plans on going with an orange version of the ring, a nod to orange flowers associated with Diwali as well as to the recent Halloween holiday. The ring’s braided band is a reminder of her trips to Morocco, where you see that motif in architecture, Balaje says.

“My favorite part of any festival is dressing up. I get to wear something extra and bring on the glam and beauty. That’s my thing,” Balaje says. “I love picking out my Diwali outfits and adding new jewelry to make the outfit look different each time.” This year, she says, she will also include Goldstories’ stud earrings with Mozambique garnet. Balaje calls these mismatched rhombus-shape earrings an unconventional heirloom.

Only one of the earrings in a pair of Goldstories’ unconventional rhombus studs ($550) contains a Mozambique garnet, which can add a pop of color to a Diwali ensemble.

For the upcoming holiday, Goldstories is offering its first-ever Diwali Celebration Gift Box of non-jewelry products. Balaje worked with San Francisco–area South Asian brands to put together this special collection of treats, including a pumpkin spice chocolate bar from Oodaalolly and a chai candle by Kishmish. Balaje says 15% of the proceeds from sales of the gift box will be donated to Pratham USA, an organization providing education to children in India.

Diwali is named (based on a Sanskrit word) for the rows of clay lamps that people light outside their homes during the holiday, to symbolize the spiritual victory of light over darkness, good over evil, and ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... cessories/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)